Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

asking people not to buy my kids toys

Posted by   + Show Post

Is there a easy way not to sound mean to ask family and friends not to buy my boys any toys for birthday and chirstmas? They are 2 and 3 with too many toys already. Is there a way to set up a college saving at a bank they could add money to instead of buying toys? Whats your opinion?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Replies (21-30):
sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

i know, i wanted to specifically ask for no more toy cars and trucks but didn't because i wouldn't want someone to tell me what to bring for a gift really unless i asked them, i guess. i totally know what you mean, though. bump

sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM

BUMP!

Karen_S
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

For parties, I add "no gifts please - your presence is your present" to the invitations.  Some people don't listen, but that's OK.  One year, DD had a little friend who had cancer and had a lot of medical bills, so she and I decided to add a litle note to the invitation explaining the situation and that if they wished they wished, they could contribute to Kimi's medical care. Then I had a box out at the party for donations. 

For family, it really depends on our relationships. One of her grandparents and her aunt and uncle always asks what she wants/needs and are great about doing things like kicking into a plane ticket for a visit, educatino fund, zoo passes or things like that.  Wtih another set of grandparents, I sometimes say "if you need present ideas feel free to ask" but don't push it any further unless they ask. With the final grandparent, she's gonna get what she's gonna get and would be sensitive to input - she wants to buy big stuff to put in a box and wrap. With her, I just sit back and let it happen...usually stuffed animal number 2 million and one, to go on top of the huge pile of stuffed animals she never plays with...sigh.  But it's not worth bad feelings. 

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM

My son asked me to not give the kids toys. So I was supposed to be the Grandma that only gave money or clothes? That's no fun. So I put money in a college fund but got the kids simple toys, not very expensive, and they had a great time with them.  I'd suggest that the parents not give toys and let the grandparents have fun. LOL!

disneyrose
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Why do they have to many toys??  I guess you could always ask for books, giftcards, art projects, learning tools instead.

lnr187
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

i agree with peaches. it ends up being a little tacky bc people will feel obligated to go the money route but want to get a toy too and that's a lot. i'd suggest those other things. also, they will eventually outgrow the toys and need new ones. you could regift the toys, or return them. that's terrible but you can...

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

did she make the money to go to hungary?

Quoting kirita323:

My best friend recently had a birthday party, "Gifts are not necessary, just your presence is plenty! If you don't feel right to not bring a gift, we ask then, if you could give her cash. We would use it towards her to be able to give a hug to the one grandma she hasn't been able to hug yet. She already has her passport.". I see nothing wrong with asking someone to contribute to a college savings account, or in my friends case, to go see her mom in Hungary. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I don't agree with asking for money, it's rude. I tend to get nice gifts for a fraction of the cost. If I was giving money I'd feel obligated to give more then I'd spend on a gift.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Beth3721
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

My mom gives my DD  useful gifts that I otherwise would not be able to buy new.  A new dresser, a nice toybox, that sort of stuff.  The money thing is a good idea.  I believe you can deposit money into any account so if you set it up, they should be able to give when they feel like it. 

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Just be honest with them. Simple.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured