Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

asking people not to buy my kids toys

Posted by   + Show Post

Is there a easy way not to sound mean to ask family and friends not to buy my boys any toys for birthday and chirstmas? They are 2 and 3 with too many toys already. Is there a way to set up a college saving at a bank they could add money to instead of buying toys? Whats your opinion?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Replies (31-40):
ferne3
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape, but I am aware it is a touchy subject.  I prefer people tell me what threir kids want/need.  Thank goodness most of our family and friends don't get offended.  We never ask for money, but let our family know we have 529's in the kids' names - so much of our family live far away, this works for them.  For my family, we will make suggestions, or I just tell my mom since people call her to ask for suggestions.  For my Dh's family they don't send anything anyway.  We usually ask for zoo, children's musem, etc. passes.  Sometimes we get toys anyway and try to be as gracious as possible and recognize time and thought went into the gift.

Katenemsmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I've done the no gifts thing and ended up with dollar tree crap because they wanted to bring "a little something". They are kids, let it be. If they have too many then stop buying between holidays.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maddiesmommy11
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM
There's a really cool website for college funds u can set it up and invite ppl to donate or use instead of giving gifts . I wish I knew the name but you could probably google it and find it.
kirita323
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM

They're still saving money. Her daughter's bday was only on Saturday.

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

did she make the money to go to hungary?

Quoting kirita323:

My best friend recently had a birthday party, "Gifts are not necessary, just your presence is plenty! If you don't feel right to not bring a gift, we ask then, if you could give her cash. We would use it towards her to be able to give a hug to the one grandma she hasn't been able to hug yet. She already has her passport.". I see nothing wrong with asking someone to contribute to a college savings account, or in my friends case, to go see her mom in Hungary. 

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Well I wish them good luck and hope they get to go!!!! If I had it id donate moolah but as it is hubby has been off work WAY to long

Quoting kirita323:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting kirita323:

My best friend recently had a birthday party, "Gifts are not necessary, just your presence is plenty! If you don't feel right to not bring a gift, we ask then, if you could give her cash. We would use it towards her to be able to give a hug to the one grandma she hasn't been able to hug yet. She already has her passport.". I see nothing wrong with asking someone to contribute to a college savings account, or in my friends case, to go see her mom in Hungary. 

kirita323
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Well I haven't given her anything yet since I haven't seen her yet. I did tell her though that it's free to fly under 2. I'm not sure if that's international or not though.

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Well I wish them good luck and hope they get to go!!!! If I had it id donate moolah but as it is hubby has been off work WAY to long

Quoting kirita323:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Quoting kirita323:

weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:38 AM

honestly, no matter what you do, they will probably still buy toys. all kids want toys to open as gifts. no kid likes getting savings bonds ect and most adults know this so as not to disapoint children they still buy toys. my suggestion to you is do what we do. twice a year filter out the broken ones, onces missing pieces, chewed up, over played ect and if they are in decent shape.... give em away if not toss em. that way there is ever changing variety and you make room for new stuff. im constantly filtering toys. some he lost interest in but i know hell want back so they go in the basement but the rest? trash or donated except what he playswith all the time that is still in one piece. my mother and grandmother are always sending stuff over that i have to make room for. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM
This is what I did. We rarely bought toys and let others buy them.

Quoting weirdkids:

honestly, no matter what you do, they will probably still buy toys. all kids want toys to open as gifts. no kid likes getting savings bonds ect and most adults know this so as not to disapoint children they still buy toys. my suggestion to you is do what we do. twice a year filter out the broken ones, onces missing pieces, chewed up, over played ect and if they are in decent shape.... give em away if not toss em. that way there is ever changing variety and you make room for new stuff. im constantly filtering toys. some he lost interest in but i know hell want back so they go in the basement but the rest? trash or donated except what he playswith all the time that is still in one piece. my mother and grandmother are always sending stuff over that i have to make room for. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM

jeeze i wish my mom would stop sending crap to my house lol i love her and i apreciate the toys and everything but she sends stuff that is too old for my 2yo. stuff that my 17yo brother just decided to part with lol sometimes its useable though but i just got done with a toy sort and she is sending me a minivan full of little people sets and duplos ect lol i have no clue what i am going to do with all of it. my 2yo is going through a phase where it is now all about trucks and airplanes and he hasnt touched his duplos or megablocks in weeks lol sorry had to vent i just got off the phone with that woman

Quoting atlmom2:

This is what I did. We rarely bought toys and let others buy them.

Quoting weirdkids:

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I would just tell your family and friends that if they really feel the need to purchase a small toy that they could always donate it in your children's names. That you would prefer if they were to just add a few bucks to their college fund. That you feel your children have way too many toys and that their education is something that is really important to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)