Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

So mad, ex killed lot of cats while my kids were over for a visit. *Update in red*

Posted by   + Show Post

So angry at the moment. My youngest DD has emotional and behavioral issues and has just now this weekend started being able to go back to her dads for daytime visits (no over nights) while my oldest DD has been spending every other weekend at her dads. (Youngest didnt deal well with his new much older wife and her moving her grown children and her grandchildren in to his house. Partly because when my girls are at his house that makes 11 people in a 3 bedroom trailer but thats a whole nother story lol)   They came home last night telling me that their dad killed about 10 of their pet cats because they were sick and only 4 cats are still alive(yes he had a LOT of  cats and about as many dogs).  They did not take them to the vet, he doesn't ever take any pet to a vet, even one that broke its leg he just duct taped it.  Instead he took his rifle out and slaughtered them all.  While my kids were at his house.  True they were inside the house but they still knew what was going on.  Their step mother told them she "didnt believe in giving animals chemicals" and that they "lived free so should die free"  Can I say wth?  We live in a rural part of the county, there is not an ASPCA  that I know of in the county so I cant turn him in there.. Not sure what to do exactly.. I already have a call in to my girls counsleor/therapist so she can help with dealing with emotions.  Had a talk with the girls regarding that is not an approriate way to treat an animal.  They have watched animal cops on animal planet before so I asked them what would happen to someone on that show if they did what their dad did.  We ourselves recently had to take our dog to the vet after another dog was in our yard and attacked him, causing an eye injury that resulted in having to remove his eye, so I know at home we are teaching them the right way to care for a sick or injured pet.  I called him and told him that was not right at all but what the hell was he doing it when the kids are there.  Not sure what to do from this point.. I feel like he needs to be punished but I do not feel that calling the sherrifs office will do anything much more that stir up  trouble.  There are no leash laws, people let their dogs roam free, and a lot of people out here think the proper way to deal with a sick animal is to kill it.  Any advice on dealing with this kind of situation?

*Update*   I went to the closest humane society today and told them about what happened and asked what could be done..  They told me they have nothing to do with that kind of thing, but that I could contact the sherrifs office.. They also told me that unless the bodies were found then 99% probablility of nothing being done about it.. An investigation *might* be opened but that most likely nothing would happen to him,  That being the case I am making sure the kids are taken care of emotionally.  They talked to the theraphist today.. It has been documented in their file, if wind up going to court over custody it will be brought up to show that it is an additional reason that the environement over there is not approriate for them to be there.  We also talked again about there are doctors for sick animals just like for people and that we would continue being good pet parents and making sure that our pets got treatment when they need it.  As far as contacting the sherrifs office I do not think it will do any good and will only make things worse in the long run.. I will just have to content myself with the fact that after I found out what happened I called him and chewed him out about it..  

One final thought.. to the ones that beleive that chasing the cats down and shooting them instead of the cost of vet, and that he might think this is approriate way of taking care of them.. IF that was what he felt HAD to be done, my 2 kids are over there for 2 days...out of 14 days in a 2 week period they are there 2 days..the cats did not just now become sick, he could have picked any other day rather than Sat or Sunday  while they were there to do it.. matter of fact he brought them back @ 5pm on Sunday, he could have done it after he brought them back.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
Lurion
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I could see that if it were 1 cat that had a really serious illness. But 10? How did they all get so sick that they shold be put down? How did he know they were that sick they needed to be put down? Just wondering...

And sorry but the words "psychopath" and "serial murderer" come to mind...

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Wow.  :(

It is normal to deal with animals that way for some people. How do you think people did it before vets?

BUT, if it really really bothers you and the kids I hope you find something to do about it. 

DeeDee205
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

WOW!  I am appalled that somebody could put their own child through that kind of grief and terror.  I've been an animal lover for as long as I can remember.  My German Shepherd was my best friend when I was 4 years old.  I couldn't begin to imagine how mentally damaging that would be to me if my dad shot her.  Perhaps this needs to be addressed in family court and visitation be altered if he can't be more empathetic to his children.

I'm so sorry for you and for your babies, that they had to experience that.  It breaks my heart for you all. 

JavaLadybug2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Personally I don't agree that animals should be taken to a vet's office for something that you can cure yourself. A bite wound.. Apply triple antibiotic salve after saline solution is used to clear the area of debris. That being said.. IF the animals were severely sick.. all the vet would have done is PUT THE TO SLEEP. Your ex saved himself money.

And if he no longer has them well then he can no longer be abusing or neglecting them.

Animals are just that ANIMALS!

Now I don't agree with treating them inhumanely.. but Neither do I beleive in spending hundreds of dollars on medical treatments on animals. There are humans who can't afford medical treatment.. Why on earth would you spend money on an animal when you could use it on a less fortunate person and improve a life of a human being?!

JavaLadybug2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You raise a good point. 10 ALL BEING THAT SICK.. Does bring to mind someone doing something intentional that would hurt or poison etc all of them.. 

Mental health issues are often involved..  

Quoting Lurion:

I could see that if it were 1 cat that had a really serious illness. But 10? How did they all get so sick that they shold be put down? How did he know they were that sick they needed to be put down? Just wondering...

Quoting AM-BRAT:

It is normal to deal with animals that way for some people. How do you think people did it before vets?

BUT, if it really really bothers you and the kids I hope you find something to do about it. 

Judesmom333
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM
yes ...get your kids the hell away from that psycho!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Call the police or animal control.  That is animal cruelty.

OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM
3 moms liked this

That is how many serial killers begin.... killing animals first.... It is definately not something to ignore and is certainly something to be concerned about.

Quoting Lurion:

Quoting AM-BRAT:

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I can see a cat being really sick and needing to be put down (or taken out back) 10 animals, no there's something wrong with those people. I wonder if they were even really sick or he's just sick in the head.

Living free and dieing free would make them feral, not pets that you take care of. ( Obviously not taken care of very well in their case)

I would call animal control or whoever. You can look up animal control or human society, or call the sheriff's office and they can tell you who to call.

Am I reading that right that they have 14 dogs and 4 cats left.

The very fact that they have that many people and that many animals in a 3 bedroom trailer is abuse. Both child abuse and animal abuse. Many places do not allow more then 3 dogs without a kennel license, even out in the country.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kim8934
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I sympathize with your feelings about this, and all animal deaths are tragic.  To have so many die this way is also tragic.  Even though I disagree with this method of killing an animal, this is one of the better options than some of them I've seen.  Talk to your DDs about the death of the cats.  Whats done is done and now you get to deal with the repercussions of their father's bad choice.

Also, this is the same method law enforcement use when dealing with a sick or injured animal, so, I doubt going to the police will help.

GELiz
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM

This is the way it has been done for years before there was euthanasia. It is very expensive to have an animal put down.

Having said that, it was a poor decision to do it while the kids were there. YOu have explained it to them. I would leave well enough alone. The children will not forget it, and they will have listened to you. I think you handled it right. The children will know what they think, and you want to keep peace, I think, as much as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)