Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
expecting baby #2in september and was looking at trying cloth diapers this time around. whats your guys opinion on this? any good advice or tips?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (21-21):
brittany208
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah, i don't blame you! I'd be using whatever works too!

Quoting CatFishMom:

The same way some people can't wear certain fabrics, or the way my younger son can't use bandaids of any kind because the adhesive makes him break out. Their bodies are different. Plus years and years ago, they didnt have the same plu covers that insulate them. That alone could make the difference in keeping the amonia inside. Who knows, I just know my kids have sensitive skin and after half a dozen or more infections and having to put steriod creams on with the disposables only to have the infection return two cloth diapers later, it's not worth it for us. I know a lot about the cloth diapers I chose, I spent years researching them before I did it, and Ive never come across a scenario like mine. It stinks, but it is what it is.

Quoting brittany208:

weird. i dont know how it can just not work for some babies... since years and years ago allll babies were in cloth and didnt have a choice... but i really know very little about it. we are planning to start this summer when DS2 is born.

Quoting CatFishMom:

I know-and I did. This happened from day one with brand new diapers fresh from the first washing process (where you wash them, like, a dozen times before first use) all the way through every subsequent cleaning process. I researched everything to stop the problem and tried it all-my boys' chemistry just didnt work for them.

Quoting brittany208:

You are supposed to strip the diapers if they get an amonia build-up. The dr likely knows nothing about cloth diapering and wouldn't be any help with that. but the cuties with cloth booties group on here is great!

Quoting CatFishMom:

I really liked cloth diapering-I used FuzziBunz and enjoyed them-but both my boys ended up with infections in their poor little peepees from the amonia, even if I changed the diaper every two hours with my little one (my older was only using them for overnights so that wasnt an option). I spoke with the doctor about it and he didnt know why it would happen but the diapers were out for us. I'll try one more time if baby number three is a girl, but Im not risking it if it's a boy. (sigh) I hope you have better luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)