Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Mom's 60th WWYD?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 5 Replies

My mom will be 60 on March 20th (a Wednesday). I was going to throw her a surprise party on the 16th. My DD's birthday is the 13th of March (also a Wednesday). I was going to have her party the 15th in the evening. I get paid the 15th so my paycheck would go towards both parties.

Well mom informed me she might have to have foot surgery again & has scheduled it for the 13th (she may not even need it but scheduled just incase because my dad is taking time off work for this). 

Mom wants me to have DD's birthday party the weekend BEFORE DD's birthday. Which is not a payday for me. Clearly I can't tell her there was a reason I need her to be "available" on the 16th! 

My thought was to have DD's birthday the weekend before (like mom suggested) using money from my paycheck I will get on March 1st & then have mom's party on March 23rd using my paycheck on the 15th for that.

If anyone else has suggestions PLEASE feel free!!!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM

As thoughtful and fun as a surprise party would be, with the possibility of surgery and the difficulties about paycheck, I'd say skip the surprise and arrange the parties when it works out for everyone. This would take a lot of pressure off of you.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Sadly- even if we do an intimate family only thing for her she would be the one to say something to the effect of "it was my 60th. I expected something big. I expected my friends to be there". But I thank you for the imput! LOL

Quoting Bmat:

As thoughtful and fun as a surprise party would be, with the possibility of surgery and the difficulties about paycheck, I'd say skip the surprise and arrange the parties when it works out for everyone. This would take a lot of pressure off of you.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Oh dear. I see.  Can you arrange a big party after her possible surgery date, maybe?

Quoting CampClan:

Sadly- even if we do an intimate family only thing for her she would be the one to say something to the effect of "it was my 60th. I expected something big. I expected my friends to be there". But I thank you for the imput! LOL

Quoting Bmat:

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I agree with this.

Quoting Bmat:

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

You may just have to flat out tell her that you've been planning a party for her and wanted it to be a surprise but with her surgery now you think the surprise part will have to wait and then try to figure out a date that works for both your pay schedule and around her surgery. Then you could surprise her for her 65th. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)