Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Giving my 6 month old Fluoride, yay or nay?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 151 Replies
My doctor gave my DS a prescription for fluoride and I've heard mixed things, so opinions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mimee1971
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:31 PM
We have well water that does not have flouride in it. Babies need small amounts of it as soon as they show their 1st tooth. He has had flouride drops since 6 months . These drops are also a multi vitamin. Do you have well water?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Nay! They don't need it.
doulala
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM
15 moms liked this

Nay--       :-(

Not for 6 months, 6 years, 60 years....

emilyelephant
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM

We use Nursery water sometimes, it has fluoride in it, I don't see why a prescription would be necessary though...

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
2 moms liked this

You must live in an area where there is no fluoride in your water.  If that's the case then yes you need added fluoride.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask why he gave that to you.  Maybe he saw something in the baby's teeth that worried.  DD never had additional fluoride supplements ever and she is almost 7 yrs old.  I think our tap water has it and her toothpaste does.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Babies usually dont need fluoride.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM
3 moms liked this
Fluoride has eaten holes in my teeth and turned them brown. I do not suggest ingesting it because that's where the pitting and discoloration come from.
Presley77
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM
23 moms liked this

You  can research this and decide on your own but its becoming more well known that ingesting fluoride is toxic to your health and does nothing for your teeth. Both my dentist and my dr say not to ingest it and to never ever give it to a baby. Others may think differently but read up on it and make your own choice. There is a movie called An Inconvenient Tooth that you can watch for some insight. 

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes, he needs fluoride.  BOTH his baby teeth and his adult teeth are developing within his skull.  The fluoride is absorbed by the developing teeth and makes them resistant to the bacteria that cause tooth decay.  Decaying baby teeth can cause damage to the adult teeth growing RIGHT beneath them.  Decaying teeth, INCLUDING decaying baby teeth, can spread infection to the sinuses, eyes, and brain, in addition to damaging the bones of the face. 

After having been steadily on the DECREASE since the 50's, when municipalities began to fluoridate the drinking water, the rate ofchildhood tooth decay is skyrocketing, caused by the rejection of fluoride, accompanied by the MASSIVE increase in the ingestion of fermentable (white) carbohydrates and sugary, acidic drinks--soda topping the list.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)