Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have any home remedies to help an adult ear infection? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post
This may seem ridiculous, but I have yet to find a new primary care dr (we got new insurance) and I'm having trouble finding anybody that will accept new patients right now so my only other option is urgent care, which id really prefer not to go to.

That being said, I'm 90 percent sure I have an ear infection in my right ear. The pain is horrible and keeping me from sleeping. Tylenol temporarily relieves the pain but nothing else seems to help. I'm pretty anti antibiotic (especially right now because I'm still nursing my son) and I'm willing to bet my ear infection is viral (I've had colds off and on for over a month now).

Any random home remedies out there for this sort of thing?

UPDATE: When I'm wrong, I will gladly admit it. I woke up this morning crying in pain and was unable to walk because I was so dizzy. The moment I stood up, I threw up everywhere and then passed out. I had my dad drive me to urgent care this morning (hubby works 2 hours away) and it turns out I have blown BOTH of my ear drums! Home remedies definitely work for some things but not for this infection I had. Just took my first dose of antibiotics (begrudgingly) but I gotta get this cleared up.

Thank you all for your recommendations. I think I should've tried some of these WAY sooner than I did. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I worked for n ENT before. I would never put anything in my ear but antibiotic drops. Never heard of a viral ear infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AromaDrops33
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Melalueca (tea tree) essential oil is great for ear infections. Apply 1-2 drops right behind the infected ear twice daily. If you need more info or have questions feel free to message me :)

MaddiesMama09
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I hadnt heard of viral ear infections either until my husband went to his EENT dr on Christmas eve for ear pain. He said the fluid was behind the ear and it looked irritated but was not pus filled like bacterial infections tend to be in the ears. It was a viral ear infection. Cleared on its own in 4-5 days. My husband also had a cold immediately prior to the ear pain. It's common. Doctors are antibiotic happy these days and unless the fluid or secretions test positive for bacteria, then I'm not interested in taking them.

Quoting atlmom2:

I worked for n ENT before. I would never put anything in my ear but antibiotic drops. Never heard of a viral ear infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinkubz
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I take garlic and crush it cook it in a pan then take a cotton ball and get the oil from the garlic put it on ur ear with a wet warm towel over it keep it there for 20min.... Works for me
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GELiz
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

colloidal silver by LIfe force inc.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Breast Milk dropped in ear few times a day

gargle with warm salt water

ColieO
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Garlic oil. I take a couple tablespoons of olive oil, about a teaspoon of some garlic I buy jarred. Put it in the microwave for maybe 15 seconds and drop in a couple drops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshieBeth_Xo
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I had an ear infection a few weeks ago! My first adult war infection. It had to be a virus, because it went away after a week. I used those ear infection/ache drops that they sell at the drug store. Mine were cvs brand and worked VERY well. Good luck!
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM

This.

Quoting chairhead28:

Drop a drop or two of your BM in your ear, wait three seconds and turn your ear over..do it three times a day and in about three days, you should be fine. There are all sorts of antibodies good in BM for acne, infections, cuts, etc. :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My mom always uses a mixure of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab, gently placed in the ear canal for 5 minutes several times a day. It worked for her and has worked for me throught the years as long as the ear infection was not part aof a sinus infection. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured