Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Does anyone have any home remedies to help an adult ear infection? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post
This may seem ridiculous, but I have yet to find a new primary care dr (we got new insurance) and I'm having trouble finding anybody that will accept new patients right now so my only other option is urgent care, which id really prefer not to go to.

That being said, I'm 90 percent sure I have an ear infection in my right ear. The pain is horrible and keeping me from sleeping. Tylenol temporarily relieves the pain but nothing else seems to help. I'm pretty anti antibiotic (especially right now because I'm still nursing my son) and I'm willing to bet my ear infection is viral (I've had colds off and on for over a month now).

Any random home remedies out there for this sort of thing?

UPDATE: When I'm wrong, I will gladly admit it. I woke up this morning crying in pain and was unable to walk because I was so dizzy. The moment I stood up, I threw up everywhere and then passed out. I had my dad drive me to urgent care this morning (hubby works 2 hours away) and it turns out I have blown BOTH of my ear drums! Home remedies definitely work for some things but not for this infection I had. Just took my first dose of antibiotics (begrudgingly) but I gotta get this cleared up.

Thank you all for your recommendations. I think I should've tried some of these WAY sooner than I did. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Replies (21-29):
Lurion
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh thank God I read down to this...all I was imagining reading through these posts was that someone was recommending "BM" as in bowel movement! Breast milk is a much better thought. 

Quoting MaddiesMama09:

Thank you! Yeah I was worried if I start taking garlic supplements that it might cause a tummy ache in my son. But, it might be worth a try!

I probably should be taking ibuprofen instead of Tylenol. I also read aleve helps with the inflammation too.

I'm gonna try the breast milk thing and I'll let you know! Thanks so much!

Quoting lwalker270:

Ugh, I just went through this a couple of weeks ago.  I took garlic which has antibacterial properties, but with you breastfeeding, it could bother your son.

The other thing I did was warm, moist heat and took ibuprofen because it's an anti-inflammatory.

I've heard about using bm, but don't have any personal experience with that.  If you try it, let us know if it helps!

Hope you feel better!

Susan3kids
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Sometimes if you use Hydrogen Peroxide - a few drops in your ear - it will help with any fluid that is in there.

A hot compress like a hot water bottle, or hot towel will sometimes help with the pain.

VanessaCB
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Coconut oi. That stuff is amazing. It clears up acne. It cleared upy son's pink eye immediately. I have not tried it for ear infections but it supposedly cures that too.
MaddiesMama09
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Ok that made me laugh out loud!!!!

Quoting Lurion:

Oh thank God I read down to this...all I was imagining reading through these posts was that someone was recommending "BM" as in bowel movement! Breast milk is a much better thought. 

Quoting MaddiesMama09:

Thank you! Yeah I was worried if I start taking garlic supplements that it might cause a tummy ache in my son. But, it might be worth a try!

I probably should be taking ibuprofen instead of Tylenol. I also read aleve helps with the inflammation too.

I'm gonna try the breast milk thing and I'll let you know! Thanks so much!

Quoting lwalker270:

Ugh, I just went through this a couple of weeks ago.  I took garlic which has antibacterial properties, but with you breastfeeding, it could bother your son.

The other thing I did was warm, moist heat and took ibuprofen because it's an anti-inflammatory.

I've heard about using bm, but don't have any personal experience with that.  If you try it, let us know if it helps!

Hope you feel better!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Get some vitamin D3 (5,000iu) and some magnesium (chelated) supplements and start taking them.  You are very probably deficient in vitamin D.  Take 10,000iu daily for a couple of months along with 200mg magnesium twice daily and get your D levels checked (25-hydroxy).  Optimal range is 65-80ng/ml.  Once you get your D levels up, you won't be getting sick so often.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM
This is why I don't mess with an ear infection. My dd's had burst eardrums before even on antibiotics. Do you have drops too? If not, you should.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaddiesMama09
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I wish I had drops. They didn't give me anything other than z pack. :( might be calling back for additional prescription.

Quoting atlmom2:

This is why I don't mess with an ear infection. My dd's had burst eardrums before even on antibiotics. Do you have drops too? If not, you should.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
ENT's I worked for gave drops and oral antibiotics for burst ear drums. It helps heal quicker.

Quoting MaddiesMama09:

I wish I had drops. They didn't give me anything other than z pack. :( might be calling back for additional prescription.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Yikes!  I've ruptured an ear drum and it is not a fun experience.

Hope you're feeling better soon!!

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN