Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

5 Easy Steps to Cleaning Out Your Disastrous Pantry in Minutes - How do you organize your pantry?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 10:22 AM
Confession time: Who would YOU choose? - CafeMom

If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be? (for the sake of discussion, you're both single)I think pret

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 4 Replies

5 Easy Steps to Cleaning Out Your Disastrous Pantry in Minutes

Posted by Emily Abbate on January 30, 2013 

PantryJust like massive football linebackers, your kitchen pantry can be one horrific thing to try and tackle. OK, so the joke is lame -- but in all seriousness, standing in front of a chock-filled cabinet, organizing and cleaning out the shelves isn't exactly anyone's idea of the perfect Sunday afternoon activity.

Nevertheless, it has to get done every once in a while. Things goop and gob, jars get shelved again that have nothing left inside, and let's be real -- that can of soup you don't even like that you bought solely for the fact that it was 25 cents? Yeah, you don't need that anymore.

Check out these 5 painless tips for cleaning out your pantry in minutes:

1. Start by throwing out anything expired: It's not worth you or your child's health to eat that 2 week old can of black beans. The can costs you $1.25 at the store, splurge for a new one.

2. Toss the "Never gonna eat this" items: You know exactly what I mean, I know you do. Example A: that can of water chestnuts that's been there for two years just in case you choose to make an Asian stir fry. If you haven't make it in two years, you won't be making it next week. Other items to toss: Things you don't actually like that you bought on sale, items that were once part of a Christmas gift basket you have no care to eat.

3. Take everything out and place it on the counter: This is so you can get to the nitty gritty, the goo. Use a sponge soaked in warm soapy water to remove grit and gook from the shelves. Wipe them down with a paper towel.

4. Line the shelves with contact paper: This will save you a MAJOR headache the next time around. Clear contact paper, which can be as cheap as $2 at your local grocery, will be unseen and protects your shelves. Instead of scrubbing the gook next time, you'll be able to simply peel it away.

5. Rearrange by category: Put all the snacks in one place (ideally far away from kid's reach), the cereals in another, and your canned goods somewhere else. Categorizing your items will make it SUPER easy to find things when you really need them.

How do you organize your pantry? Do you have any tips or tricks?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I organize canned goods by category- beans, tomatoes, soups, fruit, broths and gravy, misc. Paper packaged goods are in the shelves above. I try to set the items so that the exp date is visible, and I also rotate the oldest things to the front.

notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:11 AM

throw away an expired can of bens by two weeks? Heck no, talk abut wasting money.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Thank you!  I actually love organizing my pantry.  I am weird.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I would love to get the refridgerator/pantry bins by Martha Stewart and I love the OXO canisters for pasta and cereal. The other thing is I do not over buy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)