Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Decided not to get an epidural. Any tips for delivery?

My name is Samantha, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant.  I am sixteen this is my first child, and I am having a boy. In the beginging of my pregnancy I said that I was getting an epidural. But on second thoughts I have decided not to. I want to have an ALL natural birth, without any medicine or needles or anything. I am just terriefied of needles, and for my family that did get them, they had bad expirences. I just don't want to do it. I'll probably regret it during labor, but it will be worth it. I know the pain will end eventually. But do you have any tips for me? Anything! haha Thanks!:)

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
1stpreggers
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Try the natural birth and parenting group they can help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I am not much help because I had epidurals with all 3 of my kids and loved them lol. I would just talk to other moms who did not take any kind of pain meds and see what techniques they used to get through the pain.

bensmommy1
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Brace yourself for some serious pain. I am terrified of needles also but I just looked away whenever they stuck me. Honestly the IV hurt a million times more then the epidural.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2curly
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Oh good, I hope they are helpful for you. . . Good luck!

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

Yes i am taking the classes!:) They aren;t for another two months though, so I was just looking for general tips. Thanks!:)

Quoting 2curly:

I would recommend taking some birthing classes, so that you can get an idea of what to expect.  Plus you can learn all your options and go into it with an open mind.  I went all natural with my second child.  It was painful especially at the end, but it is tolerable.  You have to find what works for you to get through the pain and remember to breathe.  I liked that I could walk around, it really helped me.  I had really bad back labor and I had my husband rubbing my back too.  After giving birth, I felt good enough to walk around. no restrictions. I am glad that I did it naturally.  I wish you the best and good luck.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I wanted to go natural. No way. Didn't happen. Epidurals were amazing. No issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I had all six of my babies all natural, and not even a Tylenol afterwards either.
I read a book called "birthing within" which is great.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirita323
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

You will definitely regret it during labor! lol. Labor and contractions hurt. But it is possible for any woman to get through the pain (I gave birth naturally at home and I'm no superwoman). Be prepared, watch birth videos, read natural birth stories (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth), take a class on techniques to ease pain. Did you know that fear intensifies pain? But most of all, trust your body.

doulala
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

How can you regret doing something safer & healthier??
;-D

You have many alternatives for pain-coping, you don't need to add unnecessary risks to you & baby!

Who you hire to attend your labor (and the setting) are big factors in the outcome.   If you want a normal-natural experience then it helps to avoid those who are used to/prefer intervened-managed-medicated births.

Have you decided where you want to deliver?    And who to attend?

doulala
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Quoting kirita323:

You will definitely regret it during labor! lol. Labor and contractions hurt. But it is possible for any woman to get through the pain (I gave birth naturally at home and I'm no superwoman). Be prepared, watch birth videos, read natural birth stories (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth), take a class on techniques to ease pain. Did you know that fear intensifies pain? But most of all, trust your body.

LOL!

No!!

Most of us don't regret it (I don't know anyone~~).
The benefits are too worth it!

;-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

doulala
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting 1stpreggers:

Try the natural birth and parenting group they can help.

Thank you for sharing this!!   :-)

Reading some of the comments, I am surprised!    :-(

Labor  (NATURAL labor) does not have to be bad, painful, or horrible!    

What does a woman want from her experience?   And how will she work to reach her goals?
I want to have fun and enjoy it, I don't want pain or unnecessary risks: I want a very natural birth experience.    I love it!
GL mama~~

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)