Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Decided not to get an epidural. Any tips for delivery?

My name is Samantha, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant.  I am sixteen this is my first child, and I am having a boy. In the beginging of my pregnancy I said that I was getting an epidural. But on second thoughts I have decided not to. I want to have an ALL natural birth, without any medicine or needles or anything. I am just terriefied of needles, and for my family that did get them, they had bad expirences. I just don't want to do it. I'll probably regret it during labor, but it will be worth it. I know the pain will end eventually. But do you have any tips for me? Anything! haha Thanks!:)

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Replies (41-50):
music_n_theatre
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM

My sister did something I think she called hypno-baby... it was a way of "hypnotizing" yourself, or just being able to calm yourself down and deal with the pain of birth.  It worked great for her!  It's cds you listen to and a book... look it up and see if it would work for you!

kaffedrikke
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

You are brave.  I would say grab husbands you know what and yank hard with each contraction.  Actually I heard water birthing is great and accupressure helps too.

Beth3721
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Just remember that birthing plan, is just that, a "plan". Sometimes things can fall through.  Its great that you want a natural labor, just don't be disappointed in yourself if you do end up having some meds.

mamasBOY2011
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I spent most of my delivery with my eyes closed trying to focus on my son. Work on controlling your breathing and you will do just fine. Drugs aren't always needed, it is better for both mom and baby that way.

Raveyk
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:20 PM

You will cry and scream! But it's ok! The best tip I had was to put the strengh that went into the screams that were coming out of me into pushing....worked miracles :)

Raveyk
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:20 PM

oh and breathe! controlled breathing is soooo helpfull

Mimee1971
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Good luck your going to be fine. Try not to decide until you go through it. Wish you all the best!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bpryce
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I recommend not being induced unless its medically necessary. I wanted to deliver both of my babies without an epidural because i am very afraid of it. I was induced twice. Pitocin does not agree with my body and after spending 8hrs in excruciating pain (so bad it was difficult breathing) and still sitting at 5cm, i broke down and got it. With my second i had to be induced as well (both inductions were medically necessary, btw) this time i went in knowing im not super woman, as soon as the pitocin entered my body the pain was to the point of me having breathing troubles so i got the epidural. Pitocin might not affect you like it does me, i just want you to realize no woman is a super hero and we all have different labor and delivery experiences. If you need it dont be too afraid or too proud to ask for it. I still hope I will get to experience a natural delivery one day but i know i never will if pitocin is necessary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supermomz25
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM

breathing and focus on something. just remember you can do it!

Jensep
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM

If you can do it...awesome, I could NOT! But it would be worth it in the end :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN