Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Vegetarian Meal Help Please!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 32 Replies

16yo DS invited his gf over Friday evening & she is a vegetarian. I asked DS what he wanted me to make for dinner that night & he responded with "She's a vegetarian." Now IDK what to make for her! I was going to make burgers & fries for the family but don't want to make her feel left out (or come off as rude).

Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Eggplant Parmesan?  It's really tasty and pretty easy!

Groove
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM
meatless lasagna is good. Homemade pizzas (one w the usual fixings and one veggie).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2curly
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM

If you want to do burgers, you can see if she likes those veggie burgers.  Otherwise I like the pizza idea mentioned above, especially if you want to do something easy. 

gibro19
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM

We aren't vegetarian - but we do try to only eat meat 3 nights a week - so I can vouch for those Boca burgers and the like - those are ok - we like the Morningstar brand - they have basic veggie burgers or like special flavors like spicy black bean (my DH favorite) or the chicken patty ones are good too.

Since you aren't too familiar with vegetarian dishes, you could do a simple salad and spagetti and garlic bread- plain spagetti sauce  and if you guys do meatballs - just don't cook them in the sauce. It could be a more inclusive dinner for her - so she won't have to feel like you had to go all out and do something overly special for her - I know if it were me - I would feel bad if my boyfriend's mom had to go out of her way for me. It could take the pressure off of her to know she is eating "with" you guys and not something totally different.

I am sure she will be happy with whatever you have. She's probably more worried about impressing you!

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Wouldn't hurt you to try something new.  Burgers and fries isn't exactly health food anyway.  Google, "Vegetarian Meals".  Also, before you cook, ask if she is lacto-ovo, or straight edge.

brvdsmom
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Make burgers using portabella mushrooms instead of meat

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM

You could still do burgers . . . just provide a vegetarian option and maybe an extra side or two.  (Why don't you ask your son to ask his girlfriend for suggestions?)

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM

YOu can still do burgers - just make veggie burgers.  I can say that Boca burgers are pretty tasty and even non-vegetarians like them.

Otherwise, how about make your own pizza.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

You should have him ask her what she would like. Give you some ideas. There are all different types of vegetarians.

Off the top of my head, I love love love portobello "burgers" in a balsamic vinaigrette.

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Haha! I just suggested this! I missed your reply. Must be good.

Quoting brvdsmom:

Make burgers using portabella mushrooms instead of meat

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)