Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Vegetarian Meal Help Please!

Posted by   + Show Post

16yo DS invited his gf over Friday evening & she is a vegetarian. I asked DS what he wanted me to make for dinner that night & he responded with "She's a vegetarian." Now IDK what to make for her! I was going to make burgers & fries for the family but don't want to make her feel left out (or come off as rude).

Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Make her a tofu burger and regular for the rest of you...

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM

You can still make burgers and fries--just get a box of veggie burgers as well. I love the Gardenburger ones. Or you could just serve veggie burgers to everyone; get the family to try something new!

Other good options are baked potatoes with a variety of meat and vegetarian toppings (so everyone can choose their own); tacos or burritos with both meat and veggie fillings; vegetarian lasagna; or veggie chili.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Still do the burgers and fries, but have a veggie burger for her, or I would say portobello burgers, but some people don't like mushrooms, and if that's the case with her, you'd be out of luck. I would also have a big salad with lots of veggies in it like red & green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots. Or you could make a pasta salad with lots of veggies or a broccoli salad. Whatever you do will be fine. I'm sure she'll be impressed that you were thinking of her, but she'll probably want to slink into the woodwork too, so I wouldn't say much about it when she's there.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM

lasagna or spaghetti without meat. 

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Oh yes, I didn't remember that in grocery stores there are often vegetarian areas where you can get veggie burgers and other non-meat foods.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Still do the burgers and fries, but have a veggie burger for her, or I would say portobello burgers, but some people don't like mushrooms, and if that's the case with her, you'd be out of luck. I would also have a big salad with lots of veggies in it like red & green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots. Or you could make a pasta salad with lots of veggies or a broccoli salad. Whatever you do will be fine. I'm sure she'll be impressed that you were thinking of her, but she'll probably want to slink into the woodwork too, so I wouldn't say much about it when she's there.

edieda
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM

you can do veggie burgers, veggie pizza, or make like a previous poster suggested a very simple spaghetti and sauce dish, there are many spaghetti sauces that contain a lot of very healthy vegetables, or you could try to make your own if you are up to that. I hope everything works out for you and your family on Friday night. 

kim8934
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Broccoli cheese soup.  I make mine with a vegetable stock and it tastes exactly the same as a chicken stock.  Also, loaf of hot bread.  both very easy and fast.

kali_mom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
You can absolutely still do Burgers and Fries. Boca burgers are very tasty and well fries of course are the best thing ever. You can even do fresh cut potatoes to show your support. The teens can help by washing and cutting them while you get to secretly listen in on their conversation. 😙. Make sure to verify if she's vegetarian or Vegan because they are NOT the same and you don't want her to feel like a loner. It will all work out!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kimbunny
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I think that your DS should ask his girlfriend what she would like to eat.  I think that would make it nice for everyone....But if you don't want to ask her and just want to do something easy....I really like the pizza idea that was mentioned earlier.  I think that sounds like a win-win meal for everyone!!!!! And personally, I would do the pizzas if it was me.  Everybody likes pizza!!!!

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM

What type of vegatiarian?

Does she eat milk and eggs?  Some eat fish, but not other animals.  Some don't consume anything that comes from animals.  

Meatless meals can be very easy and satisfying, but you will need more information before you try to cook for someone else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)