Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Really Need Some Advice

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi, I'm a first time mom and my ds is 15 months.

We've just experienced our first temper tantrum whi8le out shopping, and I was completely lost!!

I let him out of the stroller so he could see the ducks, just like we always do, the minut he got out, he turns and looks at me, I go to pick him up so we can look over the wall... he just starts screaming, rolling around on the floor, proper screaming, I picked him up and tried to put him back in the stroller, but I can't, he's arching his back and throwing a fit. I could not pin him down.

I gave up and tried to carry him, his kicking and screaming was too much and I put him down, I just let him tantrum it out (I had no idea really what to do, my advances were met by screams and him running away and rolling on the floor)

After he calmed down, I went to take his hand to walk with me (like always) He just started again, I had no clue what to do. So I picked him up, in a firm grip and carried him home... How else should I deal with this?

He was not tired or hungry, just had lunch and a nap, I really have no clue as to what caused it :/

Any advice would be great!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Not much you can do when they have a screaming, rolling, tossing, hitting, etc, tantrum, except to sit near him, wait it out, and keep him from hurting himself, or anyone else. 

Above all else - stay calm. Seeing you lose control will only make it worse.

At 15 months he should have some verbal skills. After you got home, and he completely calmed down, did you talk to him about what happened? He might be able to give you some clue as to what he was feeling when it started.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Sometimes even they don't know why they're throwing a fit, they just throw one, but I always wrangled mine up and went home as quickly as possible if it happened. Thankfully it only happened a couple of times per child.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM

You don't need any advice.  You did great.  Ain't nothing makes a mom feel more foolish than trying to force a back-arching screamer into a stroller as it rolls and tips.  And if you do manage to get them in, they slide down before you can get the seatblet buckled.  Ugh...kids.

NNB
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I managed to stay calm even though people were staring, was a tough situation lol. He has a few words but not really enough to let on what the problem was, when we were home he just acted like nothing had happened. I never expected this until he was nearing 2. Complete shock! lol

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Not much you can do when they have a screaming, rolling, tossing, hitting, etc, tantrum, except to sit near him, wait it out, and keep him from hurting himself, or anyone else. 

Above all else - stay calm. Seeing you lose control will only make it worse.

At 15 months he should have some verbal skills. After you got home, and he completely calmed down, did you talk to him about what happened? He might be able to give you some clue as to what he was feeling when it started.

NNB
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Thanks, haha, the stroller tipping and falling, exactly what happened at first, just wasn't worth it. I did have a giggle at the fact i never thought they truly rolled on the floor, yup, yup the do haha! Your post was just spot on to what happened!

Quoting Bieg9093:

You don't need any advice.  You did great.  Ain't nothing makes a mom feel more foolish than trying to force a back-arching screamer into a stroller as it rolls and tips.  And if you do manage to get them in, they slide down before you can get the seatblet buckled.  Ugh...kids.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM

My son did what I named the "Flying Flip Flop".

He would leap straight up into the air, somehow turn horizontal, and come down on the floor, flat on his belly, screaming!

The first time he did that I just stood there in amazement, and thought 1) what planet is this kid from, and 2) maybe he will turn into a gymnastics whiz!

Unfortunately, while he loves to climb (furniture, shelves, and now mountains), he never became an Olympic gymnast.

His sister was never that athletic. She had night terrors, and would walk into a corner of the bathroom in the middle of the night, and scream. When finished she would go back to bed, and have no memory of it at all the next morning.

BTW - DD is now 27, and DS is 24, while they no longer have wild tantrums, I still sometimes wonder what planet they are really from!

Kids - aren't they fun!

gibro19
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM

As the other moms already said - you did do great.

Keep calm and carry on. lol

You handled it like a pro.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)