Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF is wrong in this country?!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 3 Replies
7-Year-Old Handcuffed Over $5, Says Suit | ABC News Blogs
By Ben Waldron

The family of a 7-year-oldNew Yorkboy is suing police and the city for $250 million, saying cops handcuffed and interrogated the boy for ten hours after a scuffle over lunch money at school.
Wilson Reyes, a student atPublic School114 in the Bronx reportedly got into a fight with a fellow student in December after he was accused of taking $5 of lunch money that had fallen on the ground in front of him. Responding to a complaint of assault and robbery, the police were called and took the boy to thelocal police precinctwhere officers allegedly handcuffed and interrogated him for ten hours, according to the lawsuit.
"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs," Wilson's mother,Frances Mendez, told the New York Post . "It was horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," she said.
The claim, filed by family attorneyJack Yankowitz, accuses theNYPD, among other things, of false imprisonment, physical, verbal, emotional and psychological abuse, and deprivation of Reyes' constitutional rights.
Robbery charges against the boy were later dropped, and the NYPD, though it disputes the accusations in the suit, is investigating the incident.
"While the lawyer's claims are grossly untrue in many respects, including fabrication as to how long the child was held, the matter is nonetheless being reviewed by the department'sInternal Affairs Bureau," Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne told ABC News in an emailed statement.
New York City Public Advocate Bill de Blasio was critical of the NYPD in a statement posted on theNew York City Public Advocate's website.
"Seven-year-olds don't belong in handcuffs," he said. "As a parent, I wouldn't stand for this in one of my kids' schools. Our school system's over-reliance on the NYPD as a disciplinary tool traumatizes our young people, sows distrust in our communities and drains vital city resources away from responding to genuine crimes. This has to stop."
Calls placed to Public School 114 were not immediately returned. Also Read
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Over $5? Really? Someone called the cops over that?? And I very much doubt they held and interrogated a 7yo for 11hrs for any reason. IDK why they'd even cuff him and haul him away, other than to placate whatever idiot called the cops on him to start with. A $5 "theft" at school should be handled by school officials and isn't a police matter unless the kid turns on them threatening violence or something crazy like that.

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Wow.  So many stupid things. Where to start....

Calling the cops over $5 and 7 year olds fighting?  Dumb.

Handcuffing a 7-year old?  Dumb.

Interrogating him for 10 hours?  (Although this is disputed anything more than 30 minutes is ridiculous)  Dumb.

Suing for $250 mil?  Also Dumb. (I can see suing but $250 mil?)

All parties have overreacted.  Where have all the smart, rational people gone?

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Ok, saw this on another board. The kid also assaulted someone. Way more to the story than this liberal version.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)