• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me..

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

What's the best way to purify our home air I'm sick of getting sinus infections every month I have seen posts about natural remedies I can't find the posts some people use essential oils? How well does that work for you? And how to use them. Do indoor plants help? Air purifier machines? I'm desperate to try somthing but no idea where to start I've been tested for allergys etc and nothing.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bleacheddecay
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Yes. Indoor plants and air purifiers can help. Idk about essential oils but I do know that some get sick when exposed to certain E.O.'s too much.

Do you have venting to the outside of your home?

Have your air ducts been cleaned?

Does your family work at eating a balanced diet and drinking water?

Does everyone get enough sleep?

All of that can help.

Allergy testing is expensive and it's sometimes good to know. Insurance may cover it. In my girl's case, she's allergic to most things so it wasn't that useful. I have inhalent allergies pretty much 24/7/365 but  we can't live in a bubble.

My ENT keeps me going. I take an over the counter antihistamine everyday. Loratadine is relatively cheap, particularly compare to prescriptions with the same ingredients and when bought in bulk at Sam's Club. I also take a nose spray each day. Right now I'm on Dymista.

Still, I have to go in every so often for a steroid / antibiotic and B-12 shot. That usually makes me feel better about a week and a half later. Sometimes I'm prescribed follow up antibiotics as well.

HTH,

BD

outtamymynd
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Try opening your windows every day for 30 minutes or more. Even if it's freezing outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd start with an air duct cleaning and a system filter replacement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Brittanyo
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Thank you! And this is a very old house the carpet is old I would love to change it all but only have done one room due to our budget I just want some things I can use to help untill we can move

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
My MIL tore all her carpets out and painted the wood. She's slowly replacing the flooring when she can afford it.

The carpet might be your issue

Quoting Brittanyo:

Thank you! And this is a very old house the carpet is old I would love to change it all but only have done one room due to our budget I just want some things I can use to help untill we can move

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)