Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to give a child medicine.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

My two year old daughter has a double ear infection and has to take medicine twice a day for 10 days. This is the second time in the last few months we've had to go through this issue. She won't take it easily, and she knows when I put it in her cup. I don't let her watch me, but she'll take a sip throw the cup and say, "Eeewh! No!" That's how I know she can taste it. I have to straddle her to hold her still to force the medicine down her throat! This sounds so horrible, and it makes me feel terrible to do it to her. Can ANYONE tell me other ways to get her to take her medicine?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I still used the infant method...... A baby syringe and shoot towards back of throat.   THEN she got her beverage of choice.    Was flavoring optional for her medicine?   I remember having to take alot of antibiotics which were like a bubble gum flavor growing up.

cynthialorene
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM

It's Amoxicillin. So, it's bubble gum flavor. She doesn't care what it is. She won't take it. It started when I had to give her azithromycin when she got RSV a few months ago. Since that first dose, she's HATED to take medicine. She won't even take her motin or tylenon easily anymore and that she use to LOVE taking because it's so sweet. When she sees me coming with the syringe, she'll either run or just jump to it and drop to the floor, ball up, and cover her mouth screaming at me. I tried just shooting it in her mouth towards the back of her throat but she somehow manages to still spits it out. I can't aford for her to waste it. We don't have medical insurance for her, so we pay everything out of pocket. I'm most certainly NOT putting a monetary value on my children obviously as we actually pay for what she needs. And if I need to explain my reasons for not having insurance, please say so and I will do so. I always feel the need to explain because people usually ask, "You CHOOSE not to have insurance?" It's a yes and no situation really. :) Sorry for the extra babbling.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Maybe offer a treat she doesn't get often if she takes it. A Hershey kiss or something similarly small.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crazy4u49033
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Maybe it's the syringe? Could you measure it out and put it In a spoon, or a little cup?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:01 PM

is there any way you can exchange it for a pill form....then at least you could crush it up and mix it in yogurt or peanut butter or something.

my daughter has had amoxicillin a few times, she found the banana flavour to be the best..(yuck!!) lol

crystalplus1
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Mix it in baby cereal with some juice. its the only way i can get my son to take anything.

Bieg9093
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I used to have to hold them down n force it.  Eventually they learned not to fight it. 

A friend of mine discovered that her daughter wouldn't fight if allowed to do it herself.  She'd hand her girl the little cup of medicine and stand by with orange soda or something typically verbotten to wash it down with.  Sometimes, she'd have to wait a minute for her girl to work up the nerve to swallow it.  But given no other choice, the child would do it herself.

Good Luck!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I used syringes and squirted it in their mouth. After a while they were easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Sometimes my 18 month old won't let me unless I give her a syringe to hold too. For some reason that gets her mouth open.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cynthialorene
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM

This is going to just be a brief responce to everyone. Sorry. :)

I've never had any luck trying to bribe her to take medicine. Haha. She simply refuses. I didn't know that had different flavors for amoxicillin!! They've always just given me the bubble gum flavor. I don't know if I can get it in pill form. I know they offer a dissolvable tablet in some sort of antibiotic but if I remember correctly it was like $200. I hate putting a monetary value when it comes to my children, but we don't have insurance for our children so we pay everything out of pocket. If I try to use the syringe, she balls up and refuses. I tried letting her to it herself, but she still refuses. I have tried different syringes before because some of them were so hard to press that it squirted hard in her mouth.

However, the one thing I haven't tried, seems to be the only thing that has worked (versus holding her down forcing her to take it!!) - a SPOON. I just tried giving her motrin via spoon because she was tugging at her ear and I wanted to ease her pain, and she took it.. she took it in like 3 sips, but hey, she went BACK for the rest! Now, whether or not she'll take it again later, is a completely different story. But thank you EVERYONE for all your responses! I really appreciate it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN