Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

(SAHM) What do you do & the kiddos do?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

I want to know what other SAHMs do during the day........do you cook, clean, get out, read, or just hang around the house all day?

Lil Chunker is over 6mos now and I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing of things.  Before he came along I did 'schooling' with our daughter and other kids I babysit every morning (included letters, numbers, reading, crafts, ect).  Then we would have lunch, nap/move time, and then go out.  Well with two babies (one mine, one I watch) we cannot go outside until they start walking, plus its just too cold for them right now.  The older kids are getting bored and I need a new routine.............  

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Try dancing around. It'll get them moving and it's a good way to get their sillys out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarah427
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I bought preschool books, puzzles, and flash cards to do with the kids during the day. You also want to schedule in coloring time, free play time, and games to play together. and never underestimate the fun of Arts and Crafts!music CDs are fun way to give them dance time and story CDs from the library also keep their attention. Sorry I'm not much more help but good luck!
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I haven't thought about story CDs......good idea!  I used to have story cassets growing up.  I bet they would like that.  I will look into that.  Thanks!

Quoting sarah427:

I bought preschool books, puzzles, and flash cards to do with the kids during the day. You also want to schedule in coloring time, free play time, and games to play together. and never underestimate the fun of Arts and Crafts!music CDs are fun way to give them dance time and story CDs from the library also keep their attention. Sorry I'm not much more help but good luck!

sarah427
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM
:) your welcome! My kids LOVE them!

Quoting rHOPEb:

I haven't thought about story CDs......good idea!  I used to have story cassets growing up.  I bet they would like that.  I will look into that.  Thanks!

Quoting sarah427:

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I homeschool so filling my day is not hard!  But icanteachmychild.com has a bunch of activities for every age.

My routine:

tell kids to get dressed and care for rabbits while I do dishes and make breakfast

get ds started on math work with dd on numbers, letters, colors, shapes, etc

do Bible study with both of them

make sure ds is doing is cursive correctly while I continue cleaning the kitchen and get ready for science/history

teach ds science/history

do spelling/ first language lessons

ds reads to me while I prepare lunch

eat lunch

get ds to do his journal (which is like pulling teeth btw)

then we usually go do something for PE.  Bounce house, hike, go outside and play... something

I make dinner while they play inside

get them bathed and in jammies

eat dinner

brush teeth

read a book

more bedtime stories in bed

bed

MarylandMom123
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a one year old daughter, and I babysit an almost 2 year old boy. I have to get out of the house every day or else I go stir crazy! We are lucky to have an awesome library right down the road, that has story programs 3 days a week. I also have met other moms through a mom's group, so sometimes we have playdates when we're not at the library. How old are the other kids? Search around your area for other free things to do. We have an indoor "play place" nearby with tons of giant inflatables that is free for kids under 2. There's also a cool nature center that is free for families one day a week. There's also the play place at the mall for rainy days. Talk to other moms in your area to see where they hang out! We go out every morning for 1-2 hours. Then come home for lunch. While the kids are napping is when I cook, clean, do laundry etc.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I took the kiddies out even when it was cold. Maybe you can do crafts and teaching with the older children when the little ones take naps?

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I can't leave the house any more.  I used to be able to, but I have two kids now that their moms are very particular about who picks up and transports their children.  Even tho I am a safe driver, have a van, and am knowledgable in carseats.  

The kids I watch are two 3yr old girls and a 7mos old girl, my children are 4yr old girl and 6mos old boy.  

Quoting MarylandMom123:

I have a one year old daughter, and I babysit an almost 2 year old boy. I have to get out of the house every day or else I go stir crazy! We are lucky to have an awesome library right down the road, that has story programs 3 days a week. I also have met other moms through a mom's group, so sometimes we have playdates when we're not at the library. How old are the other kids? Search around your area for other free things to do. We have an indoor "play place" nearby with tons of giant inflatables that is free for kids under 2. There's also a cool nature center that is free for families one day a week. There's also the play place at the mall for rainy days. Talk to other moms in your area to see where they hang out! We go out every morning for 1-2 hours. Then come home for lunch. While the kids are napping is when I cook, clean, do laundry etc.

MJP76
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

All of my kids are in school, so I typically sleep until 10/11 and then I get up and have me time until about 1 or so drinking coffee and playing on the computer.. Then I clean, and work out in my home gym. This is when I also schedule my dr appointments.... I tend to have a lot... I have skeletal issues... And then everyone gets home between 4 and 7 depending on the day....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)