Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any one have experience with a bone bruise?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
My daughter 9 years old and fell from a handstand and landed on her left knee. It popped and was painful. She had no swelling so waited a couple of days and when the pain didn't ease we called the piediatrician. They sent us for an X-ray at the imaging center and called me to say the X-ray was negative. Just give some Motrin for pain. Well a week later she still wouldn't bend it and still complained of pain. I called the piediatrician back and they sent us to an orthopedic doctor. She prescribed a knee immobilizer brace and crutches and set up an MRI. The MRI came back and said she has a bone bruise. They said keep her in the brace, limited activity and elevate it when you can. She still cries with pain. She cried all day at school today and I had to go pick her up. I called the orthopedic dr back and explained the pain and just got the same info. Dr. Said a bone bruise is painful but that's all we can do right now. Has anyone ever had a bone bruise? Any other advice you may can give us?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
music_n_theatre
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to get them when I was little, and I think heat helped releave some of the discomfort.  Grab a heating pad, give warm baths, that sort of thing.  Hope it works!  

lovinmommy0f3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Thanks will try a heating pad tonight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Ice, ibuprofen, and rest. It will heal eventually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamasBOY2011
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had one on the side of my knee for a year and a half. Keep resting the leg as often as she can. The pain will subside, in my case it is still a nagging pain but not as bad. Depending on how deep the bruise is will depend on how long it will heal. Do the heating pad to keep the blood circulating in the area. When in school see if she can use a rice bag or something along that line when it is acting up so she is not crying all day. Good luck.

lovinmommy0f3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Thanks ladies for the advice. I'm going to make her stay off of it completely this weekend so hopefully it will start to feel better. It's been 4 weeks since she has injured it and the pain seems to be getting worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisairv
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I had one on my shin. Hurts like hell. I feel for your dd. doc told me they can hurt for a long time. He said keep heat on it and ibuprofen. I hope she feels better soon.

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I did that to my wrist when I was a kid.  It hurt a lot. Try soaking it in an epsom salt bath.

lovinmommy0f3
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Thanks ladies for all the advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Bone bruises take a long time to heal.  Get some Heel Traumeel ointment and tablets for her.  It is homeopathic and will help with the pain and healing.  You can get it at your local Whole Foods, or health food store or on Amazon.com.

lovinmommy0f3
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Thank you for the info. I'm going to look for it now!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Bone bruises take a long time to heal.  Get some Heel Traumeel ointment and tablets for her.  It is homeopathic and will help with the pain and healing.  You can get it at your local Whole Foods, or health food store or on Amazon.com.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)