Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Online Video Gaming

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hey everyone...

My son is always playing games online on his computer, and with them, I can tell he is chatting with people(strangers) that he is playing against. I am finding myself very unconfortablle with this but not too sure what to do. My worry is that I do not know what is happening in these games - is he getting bullied, etc. I can tell he has picked up some new swear words these past days. Wondering if anyone is experiencing the same or if anyone has any input/advice???

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lovegrandbaby
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't allow my boy to play online games.  We also have parental controls on the computer, so he can't go to certain sites.  I always know what sites he is on, but he's not on the computer very often.

johnsmama98
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:09 PM

How old is your son? My 14 (almost 15) year old son plays online all the time, but he knows how to deal with those that try to bully him. This is what he says about online gaming: If someone is messing with him all he should do is leave. Thats it. For the most part it is safe, just dont let anything get to him.

What I do is ask my son about his games and the people he's playing with, I encourage him to talk to me and help me understand what his games are about and what's going on in them. Be open with him, let him know he can talk to you about the games (as well as anything else going on in his life), that way he'll know he has your support. That's what works for me.

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM

How old is your son? I wouldn't be comfortable with my kids chatting with other people online like that.

**Chat with us ANONYMOUSLY!**

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

This is what I'd like to know as well.  My son (11) isn't allowed to chat with strangers.

Quoting funhappymom:

How old is your son? I wouldn't be comfortable with my kids chatting with other people online like that.

Mel289
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM

My son is 11....His game-play time just keeps on increasing day after day. I will start putting time limits on heir game play. 

In regards to voice chat, I have been reading may articles that talk about bullying in these games. I guess the worry is that Im not sure if any cyberbullying is happening in these game spaces - if my son and his friends are doing any of the bullying and vice versa. The people that they chat with in these games are from different age groups and I dont know if any of the older players in age use inappropriate language with my son while they play WoW.

MJP76
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Yeah, you're the parent it's your job to control what he does when he is online, how long he is online, or if he is allowed online at all. My youngest children are 10 and 15, and they are not allowed any social sites, nor gaming sites that connect to other users. If you are worried about it either A. Stand over top of him, or B remove it from his possession.

piwife
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Umm your the mom if you don't like it then don't allow it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)