Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of boys.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is 19 months. I'm not sure he's ready to potty train, but was thinking of buying a potty seat just to introduce him to the idea. When did you potty train your boy and what kind of seat did you use?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msparks80
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM
My boys got potty seats around 18 months so they could get used to them. both of my boys were trained by 2 and a half. But I have told this isn't the norm....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChristianMILF
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I made a book ladder to the toilet for my little boy.

itsamadfrenzy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM

We didnt buy a potty til my son was 2. We bought the one that sits just on the floor and a seat that also attaches to the toilet (Keeping our options open!) About 6 months later he was potty trained :) 

motherlove220
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:18 PM
I had s boys. They are all adults. They were trained by two years of age. Boys are hardier to train than girls.
sue9607
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I have 2 boys, one is 16 and potty trained by 2.  The other is 5 and he took until 3 to potty train fully.  I found with going pee pee, to make a little game of it, and throw a cheerio in the toilet and he could stand on a step stool and aim for it... lol both of my boys actually and they thought it was funny.  I also had sticker rewards.  Training for going #2, I bought a soft potty seat to go on the toilet and gave them a book to look at, and also sticker reward.  And even if they tried and didn't go, I praised them for trying, and kept at it every half hour or so, but I never pressured them too much, because I didn't want them to hate the idea... boys do take a bit longer than girls, I feel lucky I got mine trained this early, so don't worry about doing it too soon, it takes time and patience!  Good luck!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM
I don't have boys but did get potties around that age.
EskimoKisses4Me
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:07 AM
We waited until he started to show an interest in the potty. He just turned two a few months ago and we tried to introduce him to the potty before his birthday but he just wasn't ready. Now he'll tell you when he needs to go, he still has accidents, and is not in big boy underwear but he's getting there, it takes time! Oh, he didn't like the potty chair, still doesn't so we got a seat for the "big boy potty" and he loves it! :)
LeetjieJ
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM
I only started once they had turned 2, and in summer! It is much harder to train them in winter & it's worth waiting an extra little bit of time
Once we started, mine were trained within a month or so. We also never used pullups, only proper underwear.
Good luck!
kimmyt0810
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:57 AM

my son was 3 years old when he finally potty trained. I thought he was never gonna train... lol. good luck!

SalemWitchChild
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I wasn't planning on teaching him to stand up to pee. I figure daddy can show him how to do that later.

Quoting sue9607:

I have 2 boys, one is 16 and potty trained by 2.  The other is 5 and he took until 3 to potty train fully.  I found with going pee pee, to make a little game of it, and throw a cheerio in the toilet and he could stand on a step stool and aim for it... lol both of my boys actually and they thought it was funny.  I also had sticker rewards.  Training for going #2, I bought a soft potty seat to go on the toilet and gave them a book to look at, and also sticker reward.  And even if they tried and didn't go, I praised them for trying, and kept at it every half hour or so, but I never pressured them too much, because I didn't want them to hate the idea... boys do take a bit longer than girls, I feel lucky I got mine trained this early, so don't worry about doing it too soon, it takes time and patience!  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)