Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

hvp?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 15 Replies
Does any one have or have you had HPV? I got a pap in December and on January 7th I got a call saying my pap came back abnormal, I have HPV and to make an apt asap for a coloscopy and biopsy. I had to reschedule to the 6th but this has been an emotional roller coaster. My pap and std test when I got pregnant were all negative. I slept with my sons dad once while pregnant (after the tests) and no one since. I'm terrified my son may have it! He's 6 months now and his ped says he's not worried but I think he's assuming I just got it and am worried he will catch it from bf. I have only told my aunt and 2 friends and they are trying to be supportive but my brains are an off and on wreck. Some days are fine but other days I just wish his dead beat dad would show up at my door so I could smack him... I guess I should add that he has a history of whoring himself out. I found out he slept with at least one brad, whos married to another marine, while I was pregnant. What do they do for treatment? Can or will they test my son? I want to have some idea on what to be prepared for... I have a million questions and 6 more days to go. I would appreciate any information
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Oliviasmom72
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I have HPV and once you have it you pretty much always do. It is so common. It affects women much more than men because there are so many strains of it and many do not cause warts....only abnormal paps. Over the years I have had several abnormal paps. Had a coloscopy and then about a year ago had a leep. I had to have a pap every 3 months 3 times and these past 3 have come back normal. Your son probably does not have it. Honey..HPV is really not a big deal. All it is the wart virus. Cervical cancer generally takes years to develop and it usually only happens in women who completely neglect their gyno health. It is extremely unlikely your son has it as many women give birth that have STD's. Many men do not know they have it. They carry the virus around but it does not affect them like it does women since the virus tends to lay dormant in the cervix. .

Just maintain your paps and it is possible the dysplasia will go away on its own. During the conoscopy they put a mustard like substance on your cervix and they check to see if the cells change. If they don't usually thats a sign you have nothing serious and your abnormal cells may clear up on its own. If they turn or change, they send it in for a biopsy and then they will tell you, you basically have abnormal cells/ it is technically pre cancer but so easy treatable. They can either freeze it off, or do a leep like me.  Good luck. So many people have this virus its like the Hallmark card. The gift that keep on giving! :)

beccailene
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I have (or should say HAD) hpv also.  There are many different strains of it.  Some cause cevical cancer, some cause genital warts, some do neither.  It can go away on its own.  When I first found out I had it they told me it was there forever and there was nothing they could do to get rid of it.  I went for a pap every 3 years and they always came back abnormal, hence the hpv.  A couple years later though, my pap came back normal so I made a follow up with my obgyn.  He said that were starting to see this in a lot of women with hpv.  A disease that they once thought you were stuck with forever is now going away on its own in many cases.  I now only go for a pap every year and have never had another abnormal one since.  Don't stress yourself about it.  According to statistics, 80% (i beleive) of women will have had hpv by the time they are 50, some of them never knowing it's even there!  As far as your lo goes, I have heard that it is unlikely for a baby to contact it from birth unless you have a strain that gives you genital warts and there are warts down there when you give birth. (Don't quote me on that one though because I'm not 100%).  If you have one of those strains, the warts are treated with a cream and in some cases cauterized. 

4Seasons-89
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Haha this is one hallmark I would love to give back to the sender. I've been more worried about my son than myself. That is reassuring to hear another mom say he's likely fine though.

So I'll have HPV my entire life? I thought that most peoples bodies fight off whatever strand they have after a while but you could still catch others... Or maybe I read what you wrote wrong. The lady on the phone said they would do some more tests and treat it. She should have just left me with I have HPV and an abnormal pap and to schedule another apt. She only gave a vague idea of what the coloscopy is and said I would need a biopsy. The more she talked the more she freaked me out.

I still hate my sons dad lol. Should I tell him? I know I probably should... We just don't ever talk. We talk once a month or every other month for 5 min and I have no idea how to bring that up. I'm sure if I tell him he'll blame me though :/ This blows! This is like a whole new reason for him to be a jerk to me...

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

I have HPV and once you have it you pretty much always do. It is so common. It affects women much more than men because there are so many strains of it and many do not cause warts....only abnormal paps. Over the years I have had several abnormal paps. Had a coloscopy and then about a year ago had a leep. I had to have a pap every 3 months 3 times and these past 3 have come back normal. Your son probably does not have it. Honey..HPV is really not a big deal. All it is the wart virus. Cervical cancer generally takes years to develop and it usually only happens in women who completely neglect their gyno health. It is extremely unlikely your son has it as many women give birth that have STD's. Many men do not know they have it. They carry the virus around but it does not affect them like it does women since the virus tends to lay dormant in the cervix. .

Just maintain your paps and it is possible the dysplasia will go away on its own. During the conoscopy they put a mustard like substance on your cervix and they check to see if the cells change. If they don't usually thats a sign you have nothing serious and your abnormal cells may clear up on its own. If they turn or change, they send it in for a biopsy and then they will tell you, you basically have abnormal cells/ it is technically pre cancer but so easy treatable. They can either freeze it off, or do a leep like me.  Good luck. So many people have this virus its like the Hallmark card. The gift that keep on giving! :)

4Seasons-89
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM
That's super reassuring. I'll ask my doctor just in case to make sure he doesn't but I have a high risk HPV not a wart strand so that put my mind at ease. He was the one I've been most worried about. So hpv does go away? Someone told me it does and by what the lady on the phone said I took it as it would but by the other reply (which I may have read totally wrong) I read it as it didn't go away...

Quoting beccailene:

I have (or should say HAD) hpv also.  There are many different strains of it.  Some cause cevical cancer, some cause genital warts, some do neither.  It can go away on its own.  When I first found out I had it they told me it was there forever and there was nothing they could do to get rid of it.  I went for a pap every 3 years and they always came back abnormal, hence the hpv.  A couple years later though, my pap came back normal so I made a follow up with my obgyn.  He said that were starting to see this in a lot of women with hpv.  A disease that they once thought you were stuck with forever is now going away on its own in many cases.  I now only go for a pap every year and have never had another abnormal one since.  Don't stress yourself about it.  According to statistics, 80% (i beleive) of women will have had hpv by the time they are 50, some of them never knowing it's even there!  As far as your lo goes, I have heard that it is unlikely for a baby to contact it from birth unless you have a strain that gives you genital warts and there are warts down there when you give birth. (Don't quote me on that one though because I'm not 100%).  If you have one of those strains, the warts are treated with a cream and in some cases cauterized. 

Oliviasmom72
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Nobody really knows if it will go away but i have had it for years. I have no idea who i got it from and I have NEVEr had a wart. I had an abnormal pap about 12 years ago and I get an abnormal one every few years. There about 20 different strains of HPV, as the above poster said. Some cause warts, some don't, some just cause dysplasia/abnormal paps. There is absolutely no reason to tell your ex you have it. Your son is really at no risk. It a virus so many people carry and it really should not affect your life much as long as you get yearly paps. You should tell future partners you have it. It is not a blood born virus which means it does not come up on most blood tests. HPV is probably the best STD that starts with an H to have lol.

HPV is also one of the the lead cause of throat cancer. Yep that pesky virus is also found in the mouth and in very rare cases a super severe case of it in the throat can cause cancer. Michael Douglas recently recovered from throat cancer but he was/is a long time smoker so that did not help.

Good luck. You will be ok.

beccailene
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Definately ask your doc because I am not positive but I am sure that's what I was told.  Yes, it CAN go away.  The other poster implied that it never does, but with some women it can.  According to my family doctor and my obgyn they told me that they are having more and more cases of it just going away on its own.  Neither of them new exactly why it happened in some women and not others.  When they told me this it was a few years ago and it seemed like a fairly "new" thing they had been seeing.  With hpv you have to have frequent paps done.  They will make sure with you being high risk that you aren't getting cancerous cells on your cervix.  Sometimes, when they see those types of cells, they will have you go in for a biopsy to make sure they are benign.  I think you mentioned that you have a biopsy scheduled right?  This is really common with hpv.  But I can tell you as someone who had it for almost 2 years and then suddenly it was gone, it DOES go away in some cases! 

Quoting 4Seasons-89:

That's super reassuring. I'll ask my doctor just in case to make sure he doesn't but I have a high risk HPV not a wart strand so that put my mind at ease. He was the one I've been most worried about. So hpv does go away? Someone told me it does and by what the lady on the phone said I took it as it would but by the other reply (which I may have read totally wrong) I read it as it didn't go away...

Quoting beccailene:

4Seasons-89
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Yes, I have a biopsy scheduled for the 6th.How often do you have to get paps with hpv? Like every couple months? That is a relief to know it can go away. I would be seriously peeved if it couldn't. I hope mine does! Do they treat the abnormal cells after they look at them or do they just leave them and that's why they have you do frequent paps? Sorry for all the questions. My main concern was my son and now that I'm relaxed about him I'm starting to wonder about the rest of it. I'm definitely not as panicked anymore though!

Quoting beccailene:

Definately ask your doc because I am not positive but I am sure that's what I was told.  Yes, it CAN go away.  The other poster implied that it never does, but with some women it can.  According to my family doctor and my obgyn they told me that they are having more and more cases of it just going away on its own.  Neither of them new exactly why it happened in some women and not others.  When they told me this it was a few years ago and it seemed like a fairly "new" thing they had been seeing.  With hpv you have to have frequent paps done.  They will make sure with you being high risk that you aren't getting cancerous cells on your cervix.  Sometimes, when they see those types of cells, they will have you go in for a biopsy to make sure they are benign.  I think you mentioned that you have a biopsy scheduled right?  This is really common with hpv.  But I can tell you as someone who had it for almost 2 years and then suddenly it was gone, it DOES go away in some cases! 

Quoting 4Seasons-89:

Quoting beccailene:

4Seasons-89
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Hahaha I like that. HPV is the best std with an h to have. That made me laugh :)

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Nobody really knows if it will go away but i have had it for years. I have no idea who i got it from and I have NEVEr had a wart. I had an abnormal pap about 12 years ago and I get an abnormal one every few years. There about 20 different strains of HPV, as the above poster said. Some cause warts, some don't, some just cause dysplasia/abnormal paps. There is absolutely no reason to tell your ex you have it. Your son is really at no risk. It a virus so many people carry and it really should not affect your life much as long as you get yearly paps. You should tell future partners you have it. It is not a blood born virus which means it does not come up on most blood tests. HPV is probably the best STD that starts with an H to have lol.

HPV is also one of the the lead cause of throat cancer. Yep that pesky virus is also found in the mouth and in very rare cases a super severe case of it in the throat can cause cancer. Michael Douglas recently recovered from throat cancer but he was/is a long time smoker so that did not help.

Good luck. You will be ok.

beccailene
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:43 AM

I was going once every 3 months, now that my paps come back normal they said once a year.  Although after I had my son, my ob said I only have to go once every 2 years.  If the abnormal cells are precancerous, which is what the biopsy will tell them, they can scrape them off with another procedure.  I don't know the medical term for that.  As long as you are keeping your vag healthy and keeping up with your paps to make sure nothing develops further, it's nothing to stress over.  Just be sure you let any future partners know about it.  Men don't get hpv, but they are carriers for it, if that makes sense.  Actually, last I knew, there wasn't even a test for hpv for men.  Hpv is really a confusing std to get lol, there is a lot of conflicting information out there, especially since there are twenty something different strains.  If it won't freak you out too much, go to webmd.com or another "reputable" medical website and read up on it.  DO NOT google it, I made that mistake and thought I was going to die, hahaha!  As for the questions, ask away, I know what it's like to be in your shoes and be confused and scared and just genuinely curious :)

Quoting 4Seasons-89:

Yes, I have a biopsy scheduled for the 6th.How often do you have to get paps with hpv? Like every couple months? That is a relief to know it can go away. I would be seriously peeved if it couldn't. I hope mine does! Do they treat the abnormal cells after they look at them or do they just leave them and that's why they have you do frequent paps? Sorry for all the questions. My main concern was my son and now that I'm relaxed about him I'm starting to wonder about the rest of it. I'm definitely not as panicked anymore though!

Quoting beccailene:

Quoting 4Seasons-89:

Quoting beccailene:

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Boo sorry. :(

Sounds like you got some good advice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)