Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Kids asking if and calling my son Gay...is this a form of bullying?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 12 yrs old. He has never been interested in too much sports. He enjoys swimming, did golf in the past and loved it but he is more interested in music, art and anything creative.  He acts a lot more mature than I have seen boys his age acting. He doesn't tease people or like anything that makes someone feel bad. I know its easy to say so many good things about your kid but he really is and tries to be "the good guy". I get compliments from other parents and adults on how well mannered he is. Because of these things other kids say that he is gay or they ask him if he is. We have raised our children to always respect others lifestyle. My son understands that being gay isn't a bad thing and we have always been very open with him about questions and the fact that we too respect peoples lifestyle choices. However my son does not like that kids are saying this, asking it and assuming it. He feels judged just because he isn't into certain things and just because he is being himself he is being labeled something that I don't even think he would begin to know if he is or isn't right now. He knows that no matter what he would choose in life that he would be loved unconditionally and supported so it isn't a fear or a worry of what he may or may not be, its more of what he is dealing with because of ignorance. I just don't know what step to take next. Do I press an issue with the school? He feels that he needs to start being something different because of these assumptions.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Replies (31-32):
heartfelt3
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Yes it is bullying,you should talk to the school about it,and seek couseling for him.If he's a good kid now the bullying will change him for the worst,because as a kid he wants to fix in,its called peer pressure.Him may start hangibg out with the wrong crowd trying to fit in.Have the school to also contact the kids parents who are doing the bullying.
lazyd
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Yes, it is bullying and he needs to tell the school counselor that people are calling him "gay" just cuz of the way he is - which is a nice, polite boy.  You have raised your son well, and, boys especially, will call him "gay" just cuz he is a nice person, cuz most boys arent "nice".  Boys are just doing it to be funny, but it's not funny and if your son was to call these boys "gay" than they would probably just beat your son.  These boys can dish it out, but they cant "take it". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)