Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Baby Sleep

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 25 Replies
Hello all, I was just curious as to when your babies actually began sleeping longer. My lil boy is a month old now and seems to be up a lot. He has gotten better cuz we've started him on rice cereal in his formula. But I'm just curious as to when I may start to get my sleep back. Lol So far he's up every 2-3 hours at night. And awake even more during the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarahsmommy508
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM
for his age thats pretty normal, my dd was 3 or 4 mobths when she started sleeping longer stretches, she just turned 1 and just began sttn
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My daughter didn't sleep through the night till she was almost 4 years old.
She started sleeping and waking up only once a night at about 8 months old. Their little tummies empty quicker at that age, so they have to get up to eat more.
Unless your doctor told you to put the cereal in his formula, I would stop doing that. The only reason you are supposed to do that is for reflux, and even then, sparingly.
It is just filler and devoid of nutrients. 

MarylandMom123
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I got lucky, my daughter starting sleeping for 7 hours stretches around 8 weeks old, and only increased from there. I've also heard (like the previous poster) that putting rice cereal in the bottle doesn't help them sleep longer at all. At one month old, it sounds like he's perfectly normal! Within the next few months he will start sleeping for longer periods of time, hang in there!!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Lmao 2 YEARS OLD.

It's the most annoying advice ever, but- babies are different and you just don't know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Did you know you are increasing his risk of SIDS by adding cereal to his bottle? It's an undigested starch that is void of nutrition just sitting in his stomach. It also causes constipation. Forcing a baby to sleep a longer and deeper sleep puts them at a much higher risk of SIDS. You WANT your baby to wake frequently because of this. If you are giving cereal for reflux there are several other things you could be doing instead. Cereal in a bottle is dangerous and way outdated information given by doctors who are clueless about infant nutrition. Some kids dont sleep through the night for years. Just let him lead the way and let you know how much and when he needs to sleep.

redcarnelle
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM
One month seems too young for cereal. Whole foods are introduced at six months I believe.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop with the cereal. It is garbage, won't help him sleep through the night, and a choking hazard.  None of my kids slept through the night until I stopped breastfeeding.  I am okay with that.  I figured when they are ready they will.  (:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Glorianna
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM

My dd is 5 and has some serious bladder issues.  I put her to bed and 8pm and have to get her up 3 times in the night to go potty or she has an accident.  I haven't slept  through the night in 5 yrs. I miss sleep.  Sleep was nice, especially when i got eight whole hours.  :::sigh::: I'm thinking of getting a tombstone.  "Here lies beauty sleep, along with body image, perky boobs, and sex life."

Kazmira222
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Yea, but he likes it.. He actually prefers it over regular formula. And he's STILL not sleeping very much at all. And he hasn't had any constipation issues yet. My mom did it with me and my brother so we suggested trying it out. But we now only feed it twice a day. He's just always hungry if we don't offer some. And we researched it and SIDS was nothing I read about in it all..

Quoting stepconfused182:

Did you know you are increasing his risk of SIDS by adding cereal to his bottle? It's an undigested starch that is void of nutrition just sitting in his stomach. It also causes constipation. Forcing a baby to sleep a longer and deeper sleep puts them at a much higher risk of SIDS. You WANT your baby to wake frequently because of this. If you are giving cereal for reflux there are several other things you could be doing instead. Cereal in a bottle is dangerous and way outdated information given by doctors who are clueless about infant nutrition. Some kids dont sleep through the night for years. Just let him lead the way and let you know how much and when he needs to sleep.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kazmira222
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Rice cereal milk isn't considered a solid food. It just makes the milk a lil thicker.

Quoting redcarnelle:

One month seems too young for cereal. Whole foods are introduced at six months I believe.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)