Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Normal for a 6 year old?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 20 Replies

So, I have this friend who has two children. oldest is 10 and is HIGHLY autistic and the second is almost 6 and hes really starting to worry me. I have know this kid since birth. i helped raise his autistic brother because his mom had to work alot. so in turn, i helped raise him when he came along. but now, i am no longer in the house all the time nor do i know whats going on half the time, but recently hes been doing somethings that seriously worry me.

i didnt notice anything until about 2 weeks before thanksgiving. he crushed a small kittens head and when asked why he did it, he said that he told himself to do it cause he was a killer man.

then, i noticed that he was running off instead of going straight home from the school bus. one day he was gone for hours and his grandmother had to call the cops to go get him. (she couldnt leave the house to go look for him because of the older brother being autistic and hard to handle.) when the cop went and got him, he got scared, was even crying, but the next day he was running off again. i actually caught him walking into the woods near the house. he said he was going back there to throw up but he wasnt even sick so he was obviously lying.

on top of all that, hes been coming home with "gifts" that he says he got from the teacher. nice button down shirts, one of those mini skateboards (not the finger kind but the kind that a kid can actually stand on), a few other things. but then i found out that hes been walking into open apts, when no ones there, and playing with other kids toys. so it makes me wonder if hes stealing them from other kids.

im really starting to worry about, not only his well being, but if hes "sick". i know that none of this is normal but his mom just keeps saying that he'll grow out of it. i just want to know if anyone else thinks that she should have him checked out. i wanted to check with other mommys before i suggest to her that she takes her son in to be evaluated.

PLEASE HELP!!!

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngeLnChainZ
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

She needs to get this kid help NONE of that is normal, even for an autistic kid ...

Judesmom333
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I have a 6 yr old son.
No, that is definately not normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindseyBelin
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

She needs to get this kid help NONE of that is normal, even for an autistic kid ...

the autistic kid is his brother. but thank you. i knew i wasnt freaking out over nothing. im starting to get worried about allowing my own son (11 months) to be in the same room with him at any point in time.

Kimbunny
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
No that's NOT normal at all. Poor lady already has her hands full with the older son. I think you would definitely look into talking to a dr about this stuff.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindseyBelin
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

now, i understand that life has been hard for the kid. his dad isnt in the picture, and his mom is always gone, working. on top of that, he has to watch his brother get away with everything and he has to be punished. and he really hasnt had any social interaction until he started school this year. but i still feel like that isnt an excuse.

PeaceMuch
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Quoting Judesmom333:

I have a 6 yr old son.

No, that is definately not normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Not normal at all...She should def get him evaluated...fast! He's 6 now, so he's still pretty small...we don't wanna wait until he's a teenager....ALL hell will break loose then.....poor baby....poor momma

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

Marimaru
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

It's not normal, and even if any of it were, none of it would be resolved by just shrugging her shoulders and saying that he'd grow out of it.  Kids don't grow out of bad behavior, they get disciplined out of it.

Also, she needs to investigate those 'gifts' on a couple of levels.  Either he's stealing stuff, or someone really is giving him gifts and his mom should want to know why.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LindseyBelin:

now, i understand that life has been hard for the kid. his dad isnt in the picture, and his mom is always gone, working. on top of that, he has to watch his brother get away with everything and he has to be punished. and he really hasnt had any social interaction until he started school this year. but i still feel like that isnt an excuse.

Actually, that's a perfect recipe for the exactly the kinds of behaviors you've described.  This is a kid in big trouble.  If you can get him some help, I say don't wait.

MJP76
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Yes, he needs to be evaluated immediately!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)