Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need help on how to deal with offensive people at my kids school.

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM
  • 130 Replies

I am a lesbian and have been with my partner since we were both 15. We have been together for ten years and have 6 kids. My son is 6 and in the first grade. His homework assignment was to bring in a poster with pictures of his family members and to label who they were for family night. He worked so hard on his poster and was excited to take it to school.

When we got to school the teacher asked all the kids to hang their posters up so everyone could see. Another parent commented that my son shouldn't receive full credit for his poster because it has 2 mothers on it instead of a mom and dad. She then told her son not to sit by or play with my son because he carries the gay disease on his clothes. But then she didn't understand why this was rude to say in front of my son or in front of me. Do you find this rude? How would you react if someone said this to you or your child?

Let me just say that I am used to being judged for being who I am and being gay. But I never expected my 6 year old would have to deal with it at school.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (1-10):
Judesmom333
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM
how do you have a 6 yr old if you and your partner have been together 10 yrs.?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prp2014
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

There is many ways to have kids. He was born from a sperm donor as was 2 of his younger brothers.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM
11 moms liked this
Did you actually ask that? O_o

Quoting Judesmom333:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this
6 kids and 25. Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
woodswalker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM
6 moms liked this

That is horrible!  Of course its rude.  I live in the five college area of Western Mass and there are so many families around here led by gay parents

Did the teacher speak up if she heard this mom?  IF not, she should have.  What the woman said was not only ignorant towards you but to any other kids who are being raised in non-traditional families--single parents, guardians, fosters....

I have a feeling your kids will  be running into this type of ignorance a lot.  The best thing to do would be to prepare them for it by being honest with them about the kind of family yours is and why some people feel it's not right.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Really?????
eye rolling 

Quoting Judesmom333:

melissaaytes
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Idiots!!!  Slap that bitch loL!!  Yes it is very rude and inappropriate!!  

prp2014
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
10 moms liked this

Two of the are my nephews who we have custody of. Don't judge before you know the facts.

Quoting atlmom2:

6 kids and 25. Wow.

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM
5 moms liked this
IDK that's a hard one. How rude of her. Unfortunately all you can do is probably talk to your son about it, he's going to have to deal with rude comments from stupid people.
Maybe talk to the teacher and she can have a talk with the class about the different kinds of families. Or have her talk to the mother.

I'm not saying to do this but the first thing that crossed my mind is to go up to her and touch her.
Ask her to please respect your adult decision and not bring your sons into it. Then touch her and laugh telling her Ohh I'm sorry I touched you - whispering "I hope I didn't give you the gay." LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I would of told that bitch mom off that was very rude
Posted on CafeMom Mobile

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN