Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need help on how to deal with offensive people at my kids school.

I am a lesbian and have been with my partner since we were both 15. We have been together for ten years and have 6 kids. My son is 6 and in the first grade. His homework assignment was to bring in a poster with pictures of his family members and to label who they were for family night. He worked so hard on his poster and was excited to take it to school.

When we got to school the teacher asked all the kids to hang their posters up so everyone could see. Another parent commented that my son shouldn't receive full credit for his poster because it has 2 mothers on it instead of a mom and dad. She then told her son not to sit by or play with my son because he carries the gay disease on his clothes. But then she didn't understand why this was rude to say in front of my son or in front of me. Do you find this rude? How would you react if someone said this to you or your child?

Let me just say that I am used to being judged for being who I am and being gay. But I never expected my 6 year old would have to deal with it at school.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (121-130):
QueenMama7808
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I would talk to the principal about asking the other parents to not use hate speech in the school, where other kids who may not have bigoted assholes for parents may hear them.

GremlinMom
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Holy crap! Gay disease?! Really?! I don't even know what to do at this point, I just know I wouldnt have stayed quiet at the time. whether I was the gay parent or a bystander. "Gay disease" is a disgusting lie to tell a child!

...I suppose i would have to sit the six yr old down and ask him how he feels, if it bothers him, how does he deal with/handle situations like this. I would ask if there was anything he feels you can do to help him.

***I'm not gay, nor do i know any gay couples with kids so i really dont know what I would do. I state the above based on an uneducated assumption that the child knows he comes from a different family and you dont know how he honestly feels about it. The intensity of the ridicule and prejudism is unknown where his peers are involved until he is honest with you and understands his feelings himself. I would think that you don't want to plant a negative feeling or awkward feeling in your child by pushing for honesty of things he doeant quite understand. I don't know how delicate a situation like this could be, since I've never experienced it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyMitchy247
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:44 PM

THAT IS SO RUDE!

I would complain to the teacher, the principal, and might even take it to the SCHOOL DISTRICT!!

You cannot discriminate or alienate my child because of my sexuality! THERE HAS TO BE SOME KIND OF LAW AGAINST THIS!

That BITCH! I'm outraged and this has nothing to do with me!

I can't even imagine what you're going through right now.

Good luck! 

meliscool72
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

UGh that is very rude. I am so irritated right now. I just would love to have seen you come up to her and act like you were going to touch her with your "gay disease" as she calls it and scare the crap out of her, but that is just my anger talking. Ignorant all around with her. However, I think the teacher should have said something and of course let the other child play with him. Just because you are with the same sex doesn't make you any different from the rest of us. You just have different prefferences. This lady needs to get educated and stop being a snob

Sigmalade
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM

You should have pulled her to the side, cursed her out, and then let the teacher know that the next time the bitch said something about you, your family, or your son, the police would be called. Write up this incident and have it on file at the school so if she tries something silly again, you would have proof of past infractions. I hope her son doesn't pick up her bad habits.

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I probably would have slapped the bitch.
NookBoookMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM

wow! I am soo sorry you are going through this, this is just ignorance @ it's finest. I would explain to your son that some people are just rude b/c they dont understand anything inside their bubble. 

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
That is immensely rude and moronic. Gay isn't a freaking disease. I feel for you, having to deal with this level of ignorance just because you have a loving family. That woman probably just hates her life and decided to take it out on you.
I would have had to say something to her. If only just to respect the fact that children were around.
And make sure to monitor the situation with your son and hers. If she's like that, she may be teaching her son the same thing and your son doesn't need to be the victim of secondhand ignorance.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Gay disease?

Laugh. Just laugh. Tell your son to laugh.

Trust me, it'll get your point across.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Hi everyone,

This post is now locked.

Please do not personally insult members or fight in the group.

If you have any questions about locked or deleted posts, or if you have a question about the group rules, please send a message to The Cafe Group Admin Team.

Thank you for being a member of this group!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN