Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help on how to deal with offensive people at my kids school.

I am a lesbian and have been with my partner since we were both 15. We have been together for ten years and have 6 kids. My son is 6 and in the first grade. His homework assignment was to bring in a poster with pictures of his family members and to label who they were for family night. He worked so hard on his poster and was excited to take it to school.

When we got to school the teacher asked all the kids to hang their posters up so everyone could see. Another parent commented that my son shouldn't receive full credit for his poster because it has 2 mothers on it instead of a mom and dad. She then told her son not to sit by or play with my son because he carries the gay disease on his clothes. But then she didn't understand why this was rude to say in front of my son or in front of me. Do you find this rude? How would you react if someone said this to you or your child?

Let me just say that I am used to being judged for being who I am and being gay. But I never expected my 6 year old would have to deal with it at school.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course that was rude.  The teacher needs to have a talk with her students and the parents!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM
3 moms liked this

I didn't read all the responses as I was starting to see a few that were just as rude as the one mom who said that horrible thing in front of you and your son.

First of all, congrats. It's not often you hear of a healthy relationship full of love and joy. 

Second of all, I would sit down with your son and explain that there are a lot of rude people in this world. (I also consider them to be insignificant, but not sure if you want to teach your child that)

Then I would sit down with your son's teacher and explain what happened and then ask the teacher what the teacher will be doing about it. Offer the suggestion of speaking to the class about the different types of families that there are in the world. There are single mothers, single fathers, one woman and one man, two women, two men, and there are also families out there that have many adults in the immediate family. 

All are valid families. All should be respected. 

Speech like the one mom used is considered hate speech, as well as ignorant, as well as extremely rude. I don't care that she feels that way, but spreading untruths, and hate is not something I would want my child around. So her telling her child to not be near your child wouldn't bother me too much. Unless it hurt my son.

Christine0813
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I don't know how to handle that. I find her just appalling. I'm sorry.

Christine0813
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Lol.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Really?????
eye rolling 

Quoting Judesmom333:

how do you have a 6 yr old if you and your partner have been together 10 yrs.?

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM
This person breeds stupid. I wouldn't want my child catching that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cerainwondrland
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I have two and another due in April and I'm turning 21 April third. *Gasp*

Quoting atlmom2:

6 kids and 25. Wow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Gasp is right!

Quoting cerainwondrland:

I have two and another due in April and I'm turning 21 April third. *Gasp*

Quoting atlmom2:

6 kids and 25. Wow.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM

This won't be the last time that your son encounters something like this and so it is imperative that you discuss with HIM how to handle negativity.  It's not up to the teacher to "police" parents.  It also is NOT bullying IF other children do not play with yours because of their personal/parental beliefs.  It's a hard lesson, but one that will make your son stronger the older he gets.  Kids "pay" for their parents' choices.  On another thread a mom was heartbroken to find out that her son isn't being invited to birthday parties/sleepovers, because she doesn't let him play certain video games.  He's losing friends at school, because of her parental choices. There is NOTHING wrong with this on either side.  IF your son gets "picked on" regularly or called names, then that's when adults should intervene, but not beforehand.  I, for one, would NOT be discussing different types of families in my class and I certainly would not allow a parent to do it.  That's a can of worms that should not be opened.

MamaHasWings
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

OP, what did the teacher do? Did your child receive full credit and it was displayed on the wall with the others?

There is nothing you can do to deal with the parent but if their child says anything inappropriate or begins bullying your child then you can let the teacher know what is going on. Let them deal with the ignorant parent(s).

MamaHasWings
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM
4 moms liked this

The thread is not about how OP and her partner have 6 kids. Quite frankly it's very presumptious and rude to ask such a thing in a thread created in a forum specifically about asking for advice/help! If OP felt it was relevant she would have mentioned it in her post, instead of having to answer a barrage of questions that basically attack her family. SMFH.

Quoting Judesmom333:

yes how do two lesbians have a 6 yr old? did they adopt??

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Did you actually ask that? O_o

Quoting Judesmom333:

how do you have a 6 yr old if you and your partner have been together 10 yrs.?

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured