Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Paraguard - PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 28 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I have had terrible luck with oral birth control in the past. Mood swings, lethargy, depression, anger, violent outburts, weight fluctuation, etc. Hormones just aren't something of mine to mess with. lol. My husband and I have 3 children and we've been discussing birth control. We truly don't want anymore babies. I'm considering Paraguard because it's hormone free, it's not surgical, it's more effective than condoms (duh), and it can be (should it work out) long term. I'm just feeling...a little nervous. The only person I know that has had an IUD is my mom. She said she didn't really experience any pain, just some discomfort and cramping afterward but nothing more than period like cramps.

I know all of our bodies are different, and there are no guarantees - but I'm curious about other mom's input. I'd like to know about any experiences you've personally had with it - or friends that you have that have shared their experiences.

Thanks!

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msparks80
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I had really bad bleeding and cramps with mine. had it removed after a year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gem_mommie
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Do you know if you can have it removed earlier than that if you wanted to?

Quoting msparks80:

cowgirls10181
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I had hives with depo shop, forget to take the daily pill, and hubby hates rubbers. I have the iud and loving not having to remember it. Low sex drive and slow weight loss are my only issues.
msparks80
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes you can they just try to discourage it because its expensive to put in.

Quoting gem_mommie:

Do you know if you can have it removed earlier than that if you wanted to?

Quoting msparks80:

5klady
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the para guard in for 2 years and just recently had it taken out. I loved it. Having it put in was uncomfortable and my periods were a TON heavier while I had it in but I think it was worth dealing with. And having if taken out was quick and simple.
Beauty91805
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM
I had it for 3 months and had it pulled out because I couldnt take the pain anymore. It was crazy to say the least.
Paradys
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I had 2 IUD's one for ten yrs (max you can) second for 7 yrs. only issue I ever had was heavier cramps sometimes but Midol works great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gem_mommie
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

See my mom had depo once and kinda was emotionally nutty. Lol. I'm grateful I don't remember that time period. ;) Because I already feel like my hormones are so whacky since I had my last child (he's 2 1/2) and as I've passed the 30 mark (I'm 33 now), I'm afraid to mess with anything hormonal. Weight loss is one of those issues I've had since I turned 30. It's very hard for me to lose weight and to keep weight off. I have to try much harder than I did when I was even in my late 20's. It's taken me twice as long to take off the 40lbs I've just lost and I still want to lose another 40. So that makes me a little nervous.

At the same time - we both hate using condoms. The only other real options are for him to get a vesectomy or for me to have a permanent procedure...but I don't want to mess w/my body like that.

Thank you for your feedback!

Quoting cowgirls10181:

I had hives with depo shop, forget to take the daily pill, and hubby hates rubbers. I have the iud and loving not having to remember it. Low sex drive and slow weight loss are my only issues.

NorCal_3
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

i had paraguard for 5 years and loved it. i didn't have heavier bleeding, it was actually lighter. i never had any issues. i got pregnant the first cycle after it was removed. i liked that there was no hormones. i LOVED IT!!

frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a friend that got it and he body was trying to reject it & she was getting sick. The doc's couldn't find the string! She had to go through surgery to get it removed, but when she woke up they told her they could not find it! She started having fevers and end up pretty much giving birth to the IUD! She says it came out in a huge clot of blood. There is always pros & con's to everything, so just use your best judgement...you know your body better than anyone else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)