Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hi Ladies,

I have had terrible luck with oral birth control in the past. Mood swings, lethargy, depression, anger, violent outburts, weight fluctuation, etc. Hormones just aren't something of mine to mess with. lol. My husband and I have 3 children and we've been discussing birth control. We truly don't want anymore babies. I'm considering Paraguard because it's hormone free, it's not surgical, it's more effective than condoms (duh), and it can be (should it work out) long term. I'm just feeling...a little nervous. The only person I know that has had an IUD is my mom. She said she didn't really experience any pain, just some discomfort and cramping afterward but nothing more than period like cramps.

I know all of our bodies are different, and there are no guarantees - but I'm curious about other mom's input. I'd like to know about any experiences you've personally had with it - or friends that you have that have shared their experiences.

Thanks!

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
gem_mommie
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Thank you ladies. :) I really appreciate everyone's feedback. If I move forward with it, my appt isn't until the later part of March but I'm already a bundle of nerves! Lol. Knowing what to expect is helpful though. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chendren1
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I love the paraguard. I have had it a year now. My periods are lighter which for me is awesome cause I used to have really bad ones. It slightly hurt when they put it in but not a lot. I love that it is non hormonal. I have problems with birth control that does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gem_mommie
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Oh man...the feedback is so split. Lol. Thank you for this! I think the only way I can really know for sure is to take the chance and see how my body responds; hopefully I'll have a positive experience like you. My periods are already very heavy, I would LOVE a lighter cycle!

Quoting chendren1:

I love the paraguard. I have had it a year now. My periods are lighter which for me is awesome cause I used to have really bad ones. It slightly hurt when they put it in but not a lot. I love that it is non hormonal. I have problems with birth control that does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had it for 3 years and I love it. My first 2 or 3 periods were heavy but then it went back to normal.  Now its like its not even there.  :-)  It was uncomfortable getting it put in but it literally only took 2 or 3 minutes. 

chendren1
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My periods sucked before. They were so heavy that a super plus tampon would last an hour if i was lucky. Now i can wear regulars and lites. I love it lol

Quoting gem_mommie:

Oh man...the feedback is so split. Lol. Thank you for this! I think the only way I can really know for sure is to take the chance and see how my body responds; hopefully I'll have a positive experience like you. My periods are already very heavy, I would LOVE a lighter cycle!

Quoting chendren1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rbailey2414
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I absolutely loved mine. I got it after having my 3rd child, breastfeeding for 15 months, got it out after 1.5 years and got pregnant first cycle out :) I had light period and no issues whatsoever! It was wonderful! It is sort of uncomfortable to get inserted but once in, a piece of cake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H79fordgirl
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I've had mine a little over a yr and love it. Periods are a little heavier and last a day or 2 longer but manageable. I feel the strings pinching a little once in awhile when I have my period. Other than that, don't know it is there, other than checking strings. No pain w insertion. I had mirena before and had it taken out after a few months due to bleeding the whole time. Have not had any issues like that w paragaurd. Removal of my mirena wasn't very painful. There r risks w everything, including hormones. Good luck deciding! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
H79fordgirl
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I've had mine a little over a yr and love it. Periods are a little heavier and last a day or 2 longer but manageable. I feel the strings pinching a little once in awhile when I have my period. Other than that, don't know it is there, other than checking strings. No pain w insertion. I had mirena before and had it taken out after a few months due to bleeding the whole time. Have not had any issues like that w paragaurd. Removal of my mirena wasn't very painful. There r risks w everything, including hormones. Good luck deciding! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I had one put in after our daughter was born.  LOVED it!  Got pregnant with our son the very day I had it removed (3yrs later).  Then I had another put in at my 6wks PP appointment.  I plan to keep this one in the full 10yrs.  No complications.  When I had it inserted there was no pain, just slight pinching.....almost like an anual checkup.  I would have normal regular periods.  No horrible mood swings.  No weight gains.  The only thing was with the first one they didn't trim my strings properly and hubby could feel them, so I had to have them retrimmed.  I highly reccomend it!

mag12305cmg
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't had any major side effects from it, just cramps, but they might not be the IUD as I also have IBS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)