Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I thought separation anxiety but not sure. HELP!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is getting redy to be 17 months. I stay home with her so she is use to being with me all day! Bt my hubby does care for her Lit at night while I am running my oldest to sports. If we are at home, she has to be in sight of me and most of the time wants to cling to my leg. I can't get anything done with her attached to my leg. But the weird thing is thAt I go to the gym and can leave her In the nursery and she is just fine. She blows me a kiss goodbye and she is fine. So why would she be ok with that but has to be clinched to my leg at home???

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
dallas4nu
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Probably a habit. My dd has odd things such as that. I'm a SAHM as well and she is 17 months. I'm guessing there's a cause and effect or she wouldn't be motivated to do it. Do yoy pick her up, talk to her etc when she does this? My dd does this in the kitchen allll the time. Bcuz I'm usually making her somethin to eat, so she correlates the two. But I try not to react when she fusses like that. I'll wait until she's through, THEN I'll pick her up. Just don't make a big deal of it (difficult as it is)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aleta775
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:56 AM

It is a phase. Little ones will go though a clingy phase a few times. She is probably okay at the gym because it is something familiar that she has done before. This too shall pass. 

NNB
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:01 AM

I really think it's a phase more than a habit.. My 15 month old son is exactly the same, and he's cutting molars, maybe she is teething? or just pure cuddly! Either way, enjoy it!!! It'll pass in time :)

PortiaRose
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:05 AM
pls stop doing it. he wont change. he will just turn into my two yr old. when the kid grabs your hand or clings, tell her youre busy and will get to her soon. then in 30sec or so go with her. dont let her drag you around.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

My son is 19 months old and exactly the same way. I've found that I have to work with his schedule instead of trying to make him work to mine. When he's clinging I put my things down and play with him or cuddle him or whatever. Once he's interested in somehing I go back to what I was doing. It might only last for a few minutes but oh well. I know he's needing that attention and its incredibly important to me that he knows that he is important. He's just not old enough to wait a minute and since I'm all he's got I have to be who he's got all the time.
GoldenLinds
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM
4 moms liked this
I absolutely won't stop. "He won't change"?? And what is so wrong with what he's doing? What is so terrible about my child wanting to share the world with me? Unfortunately you are wrong and he will change. I'm giving him what he needs right now. Let me be clear that there is nothing wrongb with his behavior. It is completely appropriate for his age. I also know how to discipline my child for things he shouldnt bev doing like biting and throwing and having a tantrum when hebis told no. But wanting me and my attention and care is not bad behavior!

Quoting PortiaRose:

pls stop doing it. he wont change. he will just turn into my two yr old. when the kid grabs your hand or clings, tell her youre busy and will get to her soon. then in 30sec or so go with her. dont let her drag you around.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

My son is 19 months old and exactly the same way. I've found that I have to work with his schedule instead of trying to make him work to mine. When he's clinging I put my things down and play with him or cuddle him or whatever. Once he's interested in somehing I go back to what I was doing. It might only last for a few minutes but oh well. I know he's needing that attention and its incredibly important to me that he knows that he is important. He's just not old enough to wait a minute and since I'm all he's got I have to be who he's got all the time.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Be happy for her. I don't like it when kids are clingy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

rolling on floor

Quoting DanaG70:

She'll either out grow it, or become a permanent growth on your leg. =)

lovelife350
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting ballerossandra:

My son is 18 and he does the same.he would even go on a long pony ride along a track wher he doesn't see me and he's cool with that but at home I can't even use the bathroom

mama2gg
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

because she has associated you with being home with her and holding, loving, and always with her

MrsJoe125
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM

She'll probably get over it.  She might be a little "bored".  I don't mean that the way an adult or older child gets bored.  It might be helpful to put out one small set of toys in each room (especially where you need to work); and change them around sometimes.  I would keep one to two sets put away, so that they seem "new" to her when you put them out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN