Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I thought separation anxiety but not sure. HELP!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is getting redy to be 17 months. I stay home with her so she is use to being with me all day! Bt my hubby does care for her Lit at night while I am running my oldest to sports. If we are at home, she has to be in sight of me and most of the time wants to cling to my leg. I can't get anything done with her attached to my leg. But the weird thing is thAt I go to the gym and can leave her In the nursery and she is just fine. She blows me a kiss goodbye and she is fine. So why would she be ok with that but has to be clinched to my leg at home???

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
TheQueenOfChaos
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Agreed! My 3 year old was the same way, even through age 2. But now that she's older, she loves to be away from me an experience the world. There is nothing wrong with cuddling your babies while they're young, and when they want nothing to do with us when their older I won't be sitting around wishing I took the time for them as babies.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

I absolutely won't stop. "He won't change"?? And what is so wrong with what he's doing? What is so terrible about my child wanting to share the world with me? Unfortunately you are wrong and he will change. I'm giving him what he needs right now. Let me be clear that there is nothing wrongb with his behavior. It is completely appropriate for his age. I also know how to discipline my child for things he shouldnt bev doing like biting and throwing and having a tantrum when hebis told no. But wanting me and my attention and care is not bad behavior!

Quoting PortiaRose:

pls stop doing it. he wont change. he will just turn into my two yr old. when the kid grabs your hand or clings, tell her youre busy and will get to her soon. then in 30sec or so go with her. dont let her drag you around.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

My son is 19 months old and exactly the same way. I've found that I have to work with his schedule instead of trying to make him work to mine. When he's clinging I put my things down and play with him or cuddle him or whatever. Once he's interested in somehing I go back to what I was doing. It might only last for a few minutes but oh well. I know he's needing that attention and its incredibly important to me that he knows that he is important. He's just not old enough to wait a minute and since I'm all he's got I have to be who he's got all the time.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Bump

KRIZZ25
I HATE BEING ALONE..EVERY ONE HAD A SOME BODY.I HAVE A NO BODY .
Today at 7:47 PM
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
enjoy it she will out grow it one day..maybe give her something to do..like some small pots and pans to cook wile mama cooks .or a bunch of paper and have her draw or books to look at or even a tea set .its good she goes wth other with out having a melt down .
Rose.Lynn
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I have this same issue with my 14 month old. If we are all at home he has to be right on top of me like all the time. If I'm on the computer, he yells at me. If I'm reclining on the couch, he yells at me. If I'm in the kitchen making him food, he yells at me. If I do anything that doesn't directly relate to him right at that moment, he yells at me. The only time I get to myself is if he is sleeping. Even when his dad is home and trying to spend time with him he wants to yell for me. I don't get it. I try to engage him in other things, doesn't work. I play with him, he's okay...until I stop playing then he's back to yelling at me. So I sympathize.

sucker4myloves
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Probably cause she has other kids and different toys to play with at the gym nursery. Have you tried playgroups for her?

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM

it could be some separation anxiety. My DD started going through some of the same stuff at about 18 months. She just turned two and still has days here and there where she wants to live in my lap. They are getting older at this stage and are realizing more and more that they are separate people from us and it may be that she just needs to stock up on some 'cling time' when she's at home. DD goes to daycare a couple of hours per week just so she can see other kids and she never ever gets clingy there because she wants to go play. Then when I pick her up and come home she wants to nurse and sit on my lap for a long time.  The period from 18-24 months is also a time for developmental spurts, especially in speech, so sometimes they get more moody, sleep gets disturbed, and you see bouts of separation anxiety. It doesn't last forever, though!

BlessedMammaof2
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at that age. If she's otherwise ok with you leaving her she most likely just does it for comfort.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Agree. Try some distraction.

Quoting Bmat:

Could it be that she does this from habit or as a comfort item- like a blankie or stuffed animal, only it's your leg?  I wonder if it would help to remove her and hand her a stuffed animal or little blanket so you can walk around. :)

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Yeah mine have done that too:) I just say "ok, I'm going to the kitchen now" or "I'm in the bedroom!" And move on. Not that I don't sit and cuddle, but when you have laundry and stuff to do, it sure slows things down when they cling. I also keep toys up in her closet and will bring one down for them to play with when they were being super clingy. They loved the distraction. After awhile, it stopped:)
shellyNkatie
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

my DD just turned 1, and has been pretty clingy to me at home...but outside or in other places, she's quite happy doing whatever she wants. (within reason and safety of course!) I think she'll grow out of it...but for now if I'm busy and she doesn't want anyone else, I stick her in the highchair and go about my business. She's content with some Kix or some other nibbles, and watching mommy wash dishes or whatever I'm doing. :) She also has been helping me with stuff like loading the dryer when I'm doing laundry. SO CUTE! :) I love the help, and I'm encouraging it as much as I can, so she learns that it's good to help out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)