Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I thought separation anxiety but not sure. HELP!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is getting redy to be 17 months. I stay home with her so she is use to being with me all day! Bt my hubby does care for her Lit at night while I am running my oldest to sports. If we are at home, she has to be in sight of me and most of the time wants to cling to my leg. I can't get anything done with her attached to my leg. But the weird thing is thAt I go to the gym and can leave her In the nursery and she is just fine. She blows me a kiss goodbye and she is fine. So why would she be ok with that but has to be clinched to my leg at home???

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
LauralisMom
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

That is COMPLETELY normal - anoying, but normal.

Caidysmom
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I have been going thru this with my 20 month old for a few months... Daddy picks her up an she wails "mama" over an over. I've been home with her since she was born. I aslo take her back an forth to her therapies all week, make her meals etc... I am most defintely hoping it will pass... Love her lil self to pieces though :)
Karen_S
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Wow, said with so much authority!

But no, that's not true.  I raised my daughter mostly along the lines of attachment parenting, so she got hugs and love when she wanted them. And now she's a patient, consideriate, independent 5 year old.  

Quoting PortiaRose:

pls stop doing it. he wont change. he will just turn into my two yr old. when the kid grabs your hand or clings, tell her youre busy and will get to her soon. then in 30sec or so go with her. dont let her drag you around.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

My son is 19 months old and exactly the same way. I've found that I have to work with his schedule instead of trying to make him work to mine. When he's clinging I put my things down and play with him or cuddle him or whatever. Once he's interested in somehing I go back to what I was doing. It might only last for a few minutes but oh well. I know he's needing that attention and its incredibly important to me that he knows that he is important. He's just not old enough to wait a minute and since I'm all he's got I have to be who he's got all the time.

Scribbleprints
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Sometime between the time they could walk about 2 years old, all three of my kids went through that (not specifically the leg thing, but the clingy thing--mine wanted picking up).    I don't remember them having problems being dropped off at the church nursery usually then...I think it's just that while I was there they didn't understand me not paying total attention to them.  Wish I had a great solution...I don't.  Other than to say, it will pass eventually.

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Can't know for sure.  I sort of automatically think of child abuse as there is so much of that anymore or just abuse.  Does her dad yell at her?  Does he hit her?  has she ever had marks on her that were not adequately explained?  I can't imagine why she would hang on you at night.  If you are with her in the day, is she hanging onto your leg?  If so, she may just be afraid that you are leaving her and she doesn't want to lose you.   As to the nursery, there are probably other kids there and she likes to play with them.  So that is not necessarily unusual.  Does she ever say she doesn't want to stay with daddy (is he her daddy or your DH and not her daddy?  )  I think this might be what you are wondering.  Can she talk?  You could ask questions and be careful how you talk to her.  You could reassure her that you are coming back just like at the nursery.  Could hubby take the oldest to sports?  Could take her with you when you go. 

Autiziumom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Is there something or someone at home that makes her nervous or scared?? Sometimes with one thing children r scared! If she talks try to have her communicate!
RetiredUSAFWife
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Kids that age, usually do want to see their mother at all times. I wouldn't worry about it. Just let her learn to play by herself in an area where you can be seen. It may take a little time to get her used to it.

melissaanne2002
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I love my boys but I don't let them hang on me they are 8, 4 1/2 and 16 months
I need my bubble to stay kid free to avoid the problem u have. I don't care if my son cries my I got stuff to do! And now with a 4th on the way I'm not changing that now! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ADHDmommyandson
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM

shes asking you to take her to daycare for a few hrs a week  :) 

im_2_xblessed
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM
My girls are almost 12 &13 and they were always with me mostly a sling I cleaned house and cooked dinner wearing them. They are well adjusted independent young ladies. They still are willing to snuggle and watch movies with me. So maybe your daughter will out grow it or maybe she won't. Either way enjoy her right now. I love having my girls this age and we have a great relationship...but I loved having each of them attached to me as well.... I wish you the best of luck
And if she is truly miserable at home without you. Take her along
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN