Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

getting healthy

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 7 Replies

i have an 11 y.o. 4 y.o. 3y.o., 1.5 y.o., and a 2 month old. my 11 is a picky eater. i know i control what he eats at home but at school and my mom's house he doesn't good. even though i have told my mom not to let him eat junk he still does. i try to get him out to get some physical activity but it's a struggle. i was over weight my whole childhood and don't want him to go through what i went through. i'm pretty much on my own as far as the kids go since my husband works all the time. any suggestions as to how i can get him to eat better an exercise? please don't judge me or bash me i know it is up to me to give him healthy choices.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AuntFib
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Is you 11yr overweight now?  If not, I wouldn't stress over it so much.  You watch what he eats at home.

Even a picky eater can be tricked into eating healthy.  Do you allow him to make choices over what he eats?  I don't mean "Do you want pizza or do you want liver?"  lol  

Let him know what main course you want to fix for dinner and allow him to pick one or two side dishes or veggies to go with it.  Kids are happier, and more cooperative when they feel like they have some options, or some kind of input.   You can even let him choose something you wouldn't normally allow him to have as long as he agrees to eat the entire dinner.  

A happier child is usually a more active child...  Give him a boost in his self-confidence!

My kids used to love to make after school snacks with me!  We were all about fresh fruits and veggies (rarely had cookies unless they were homemade with the kids' help).  I usually kept won ton wraps (or egg roll wraps) on hand for the kids to make mini-fruit pies.  Raisins, apples, bananas, peaches, pears cut into bite size pieces and mixed with a little applesauce or juice for added moisture, wrapped in the won tons and fried or baked.  We had fun making them.  And since the kids were always given a variety of fruits to choose from, they loved making them!!  

reux
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Make exercise fun. If it's a chore, your child isn't going to want to do it. What active things does your child want to try? Dance, Martial Arts, Swimming, Soccer, Tai Chi, yoga, something else?  A lot of programs offer free trial classes so maybe you can take him to a few to see if he likes any of them. What about activities you all can do as a family?  We go swimming a few times a week at the YMCA, play tag in the park, go out for family walks aroun the neighborhood, et cetera.  As for Grandma, if she can't follow your rules, she can't be trusted to watch your kids. 

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Once a month, or even once a week at grandma's won't hurt him. Have only good choices at home, and exercise the whole family together. Get a double stroller, and everyone walks to the park. As for picky eating, do not offer junk, make quality meals, and let him eat what he chooses from what is on the table. Nothing after. He won't starve.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Send healthy lunches to school and along with him at grandmothers?

Make exercise a family fun thing, like hikes, rollerskating or biking?

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

One of the best things you can do is to lead by example, making healthy eating choices for yourself and making sure to get plenty of exercise. It's helpful, too, if you do things that are fun for the whole family like biking or dancing or playing active games, even video games nowadays can be exercise if they're on things like the Wii or Playstation Move units. :)

Miss-tearious
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

There are tons of creative ways to disguise healthy food for fun things. I don't mean making brownies out of black beans (yes, it is a real thing), but more like making butterflies out of fruit. Do you have pinterest? These are on my "Kiddos" board:

Carrots & hummus snack

Island tree

Caramel Apples (not the healthiest, but they are eating apples! You could just leave more of the apple in so there isn't such a big well for caramel)

Funky Fruit

Snack Cars

Apple teeth

Homemade Fruit Snacks

Caterpillar kabobs

Homemade Fruit Rollups

Veggie Bouquet <------------- I think this one is my favorite, and probably the healthiest.

There are lots of ways you can "trick" kids into eating healthy foods.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Shakes, you can hid tons of good stuff in there, and they will only taste the fruits. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)