Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Are potato chips bad for a child's teeth?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

I was told by someone that potato chips are bad for a childs mouth.  My son loves the pickle flavored Lays, which are really thin, and I don't want to continue giving them to him as an occasional snack if they are a risk to his teeth.  Does anyone know if this is true?  I know of the risk of a piece getting stuck in the gums with doritos, but not the lays.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

If they get stuck in his teeth they could cause cavities. Just like any other food really...Just make sure he bruhes after. 

***Many different types of food can cause tooth decay in children, not just candy. Foods that are high in carbohydrates, as well as some fruits, juices and sodas, peanut butter, crackers and potato chips are culprits. Factors that cause tooth decay include the frequency in which the foods are eaten and the time they remain as particles in the mouth. 

Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=N&iid=316&aid=1282

sweetmomma326
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM

We brush his teeth everyday really good.  He loves his toothbrush and laughs when we brush them.  I also give him a lot of watered down juice, so it isn't so harsh on his teeth.  He mostly drinks milk and watered down juice, and I just occasionally give him the chips if he has been really good, or if I just feel like giving them to him.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

If they get stuck in his teeth they could cause cavities. Just like any other food really...Just make sure he bruhes after. 

***Many different types of food can cause tooth decay in children, not just candy. Foods that are high in carbohydrates, as well as some fruits, juices and sodas, peanut butter, crackers and potato chips are culprits. Factors that cause tooth decay include the frequency in which the foods are eaten and the time they remain as particles in the mouth. 

Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM
How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmomma326
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

He is 2.  The portion size of chips he has is just about the size of my fist.  He isn't allowed to have candy or anything like that. 

Quoting Susan0805:

How old is he?

Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Sounds like he will be fine.... Don't be over paranoid about it unless bad teeth run in your family. My kids have great teeth and I dont follow them around reminding them to brush. On the other hand my friend's kids need to be reminded often because bad teeth run in her family and she had all hers removed before she was 30. I think if you follow good dental hygein and make sure he brushes after sugary or high carb snacks he will be fine. Dont stress out over it. Follow the link below to find the info and more that I copied in my reply. I wish you the best.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

We brush his teeth everyday really good.  He loves his toothbrush and laughs when we brush them.  I also give him a lot of watered down juice, so it isn't so harsh on his teeth.  He mostly drinks milk and watered down juice, and I just occasionally give him the chips if he has been really good, or if I just feel like giving them to him.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

sweetmomma326
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Thank you.  Bad teeth don't run in my family, but somewhat in his dads side.  That link was very helpful thanks!

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Sounds like he will be fine.... Don't be over paranoid about it unless bad teeth run in your family. My kids have great teeth and I dont follow them around reminding them to brush. On the other hand my friend's kids need to be reminded often because bad teeth run in her family and she had all hers removed before she was 30. I think if you follow good dental hygein and make sure he brushes after sugary or high carb snacks he will be fine. Dont stress out over it. Follow the link below to find the info and more that I copied in my reply. I wish you the best.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM

They can cut anyone's gums, not just kids, but the gums heal. And they can also get caught between teeth, but that's why we floss.

MJP76
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Potato chips are bad for anyone. Period. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Agree.

I guess if you must go ahead, but they're gross. Pp was right, carbs are sugars too so I would just make sure the teeth are clean.

Sweet potato chips might be a better alternative, or pop chips or something. Limit the salt and oils.

Quoting MJP76:

Potato chips are bad for anyone. Period. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)