Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Brushing Teeth Battle?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 21 Replies

My daughter just turned one, and all of a sudden she won't let us brush her teeth anymore. I don't know if it's because her mouth is sore (the doc said she is getting her top molars), or what the deal is. The pediatrician suggested giving her a few sips of water after her bottle before bed, so the milk won't wear away at her teeth. We've also tried wiping them down with a wet washcloth, which only works about 50% of the time. I feel like I'm trying to brush her teeth every time I go upstairs to change her diaper, because I'm so paranoid we aren't getting them clean enough!

Anyone have other tips on getting in there with a toothbrush?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Get her a fun toothbrush and paste, and let her do it herself. You can touch up after.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I went through exactly this, only I didn't know it was her molars coming in.  I think it was about a week, the molars broke through and then it was fine again.

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Put a little toothpaste on the toothbrush, hand it to her and let her chew on it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mag12305cmg
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

My son is 4 and we still battle with it, Ive let him pick out his own brushes and his own toothpaste, it never changes.

MJP76
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Weird, my kids thought "brushing their teeth" felt good at that age...

biomom1437
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM

i have a one and a half year old and i had struggles with getting her to let me brush her teeth.  i asked the wic nurse what i can do.  she said don't force it and try to let her brush her own teeth.  so i've been letting her brush her teeth for about a week now and i try to remember to do it the same time everyday.  i say to her look at how mommy brushes her teeth so she gets the idea.  and wic put floride on her teeth every 3 months so if she doesn't do a perfect job i'm not worried about it.  and i hope by the time she 3 or 4 she'll be doing a better job but practice makes perfect so let the kiddo do it her/his self

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

even just putting a lil toothpaste on the washcloth and let her chomp away at that, would help.

Supermum311
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Distract her with some songs or one of those light up toothbrushes (hello kitty).  It might help some  :-)

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Try brushing your teeth at the same time.  She may see you doing it and want to copy.  I had to do this with my oldest,  We would show each other our pretty smiles when we were done.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Get her a brush.  Take turns brushing.  Even use your brush and let her help brush yours.  Make it fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)