Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Anybody with a St. Bernard (or any dog trainers)need advice for puppy biteing to stop!

We got our St. Bernard yesterday I love him to pieces already! He's a big sweetie but I'm getting sick of the puppy bites they hurt and I relize he does not know any better. All day I have been squealing ouch! And walking into another room so he will feel like he lost his playtoy like a time out. We have 2 children our 3yo dd and 4yo ds and I don't want them to be scared of our puppy because he's playing with them alittle rough, they play with him and they just adore him! he's been good so far and just in the 2 days we have had him he has been learning very well but I just want to stop the hard bites any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Replies (11-18):
frstldyhmsch
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Puppies bites can hurt! Every Time he bites,  give him a stern finger point and say "NO" then replace your hand/foot etc with a toy. After a few times of this practice, he should get the idea. The kids should do the same thing.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Agreed. :) 

Quoting ceciliam:

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, just be consistent. :)

LindaClement
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I would think that the same things people do with biting toddlers: watch for cues that biting is about to happen and distract, redirect and shape alternative behaviours...

furbabymum
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I grab my dogs mouths and hold the lower or upper jaw. They don't like it. 5 dogs and no biting.

furbabymum
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Yup it's your child. I bet your child runs away when he wants to get away from the dog as well. We taught our 2 year old DS to stop playing, put his hand up and say NO sternly. The more reaction the pup gets out of your 3 year old the more hyped up he'll be and the more it'll happen. We've got a 7 month old akbash right now who is way taller than our DS. DS stands firm and we haven't had any huge issues thanks to that.

Quoting LogansMommy0328:

They do say ouch to him but I end up picking them up so he stops. They are usually pretty good with dogs even small dogs but my son runs around with him and I think that's what's telling our puppy to nip. We have a few bones to chew and a puppy toy that's like a small tire with a roap attached to it so with those I try to distract him from our skin to the toys.

Quoting frndlyfn:

It may take time but do the children also squeal and say ouch when he nips at them as well?  Also if they are rough playing with him, they will need to learn how to gentle play since rough play is a signal to the puppy that it is no holds barred playing.  Does he have the appropriate toys to chew on instead of his human family?

LogansMommy0328
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Awwww what a cutie!! Ill have to try that to I've done it a few times he hates it!

Quoting furbabymum:

I grab my dogs mouths and hold the lower or upper jaw. They don't like it. 5 dogs and no biting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Biting is normal puppy behavior.  You can try all of the suggestions offered, but it is important he learns bite inhibition.  They normally learn this from other puppies, but if you have only one, then he must learn it from you.  Mouthing during play, and learning not to do it too hard is part of learning bite inhibition, and if he doesn't learn it, he may bite too hard in an unexpected situation where reflex kicks in .  He will eventually outgrow this behavior, probably by 7 or 8 mos.  But it is part of having a puppy.  Best thing is redirecting and making noise when the bite pressure is too much. 

ladyhawk2013
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM

A fly swater or a piece of news paper swat him on the nose and tell him no, even use a spray bottle an spray him in the nose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)