Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My cats are continually knocking over my garbage can and I'm starting to get really mad.  I thought they were doing it because there was something in there they wanted...but now they do it all the time, even when it's empty. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on heavier cans with lids that they can't knock over?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
Beth3721
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I'm not sure if that will work.  I had emptied the entire litter box into the can in a fresh bag so it was all the way to the bottom and they still knocked it over.  The weight of that must have been at least 10 pounds

Quoting Shari55:

My daughter Nyssa suggest putting a bag of unopened potting soil in the bottom of the can which will make it too heavy to knock over. Or whatever is heavy that the cats won't be able to knock over (5-lbs plus),

Quoting Beth3721:

They do it whenever we are out of the room.  When I go in there they are both looking at me like "what?"  The only place I have to keep it is two rooms away which really sucks when you have to throw stuff away while in the kitchen. 

The spray bottle works for the one.  But the other one is so dumb and he just looks at you when you spray him like he doesn't understand and he doesn't move.  He really doesn't understand much.

Quoting Shari55:

sidesplittinglaughterSorry to laugh we have four cats and three of them are such mischief makers.  As for your trash can issue, do they do this when you are asleep or do the do this right in front of you?

We have one who will look right at you and do something that she knows she isn't suppose to. To stop this behavior we just put things out of sight. For the trashcan issue, we had to put it in a closet at night and then during the day it could be out cause they never bothered with it.

We also have a squirt bottle that we use for bad behavior, they are actually pretty good...just like to be the center of attention.

Beth3721
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I had actually looked at the larger version of this one at bed bath & beyond.  The one I messed around with was super hard to lock. I wasn't sure if they would all be like that or if it was just the demo that was malfunctioning.  Have you used one of these?

Quoting jabs54:

You can buy garbage cans that lock...

http://www.simplehuman.com/40-litre-slim-step-can-black-plastic?gclid=CNmCo7K-m7UCFdSkPAodRhEALw

SRUsarahSC
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM

we use an old coffee can and keep it under the sink so they can't get it (the garbage)--the other can (which is paper goods etc) is in the pantry, but that's to keep the baby out of it, not the cats.  The cats just like to turn on the sink water to drink, and leaving it dripping all night.....damn cats!

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Screw it to your floor?

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Keep it under the sink. Or put a brick in the bottom of it and the trash bag on top of that.

Shari55
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Wow those are some strong cats! Duc Tape won't even help...I am going to have to think about this one

Quoting Beth3721:

I'm not sure if that will work.  I had emptied the entire litter box into the can in a fresh bag so it was all the way to the bottom and they still knocked it over.  The weight of that must have been at least 10 pounds

Quoting Shari55:

My daughter Nyssa suggest putting a bag of unopened potting soil in the bottom of the can which will make it too heavy to knock over. Or whatever is heavy that the cats won't be able to knock over (5-lbs plus),

Quoting Beth3721:

They do it whenever we are out of the room.  When I go in there they are both looking at me like "what?"  The only place I have to keep it is two rooms away which really sucks when you have to throw stuff away while in the kitchen. 

The spray bottle works for the one.  But the other one is so dumb and he just looks at you when you spray him like he doesn't understand and he doesn't move.  He really doesn't understand much.

Quoting Shari55:

sidesplittinglaughterSorry to laugh we have four cats and three of them are such mischief makers.  As for your trash can issue, do they do this when you are asleep or do the do this right in front of you?

We have one who will look right at you and do something that she knows she isn't suppose to. To stop this behavior we just put things out of sight. For the trashcan issue, we had to put it in a closet at night and then during the day it could be out cause they never bothered with it.

We also have a squirt bottle that we use for bad behavior, they are actually pretty good...just like to be the center of attention.

Shari, wife to John since April 1988, Mom to Heather (Jan. 1977) she is mom to five(3boys, 2 girls), Nyssa(April 1989) Michaela(August 1994) and four cats

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM

What I do is to suspend a plastic bag from one of the pulls on a drawer in the kitchen. The bag is taken out to the trash every evening. This way I never have garbage in the kitchen overnight. In other words, I don't have a garbage can at all in the kitchen.

Beth3721
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I've thought about under the sink.  But it's child locked and would be a pain. Plus I would still have to get a new garbage can as the one we have is too large to fit under there.  I think I'm making this too difficult. 

Quoting Bmat:

Keep it under the sink. Or put a brick in the bottom of it and the trash bag on top of that.

Beth3721
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I don't know if it's so much strength as it is persistance.  The big dumb one will break into our bedrooms at night by literally throwing himself against the doors.  I would assume he also throws himself against the garbage until it falls over.  He also tears up paper. Either that of they run at it. 

Quoting Shari55:

Wow those are some strong cats! Duc Tape won't even help...I am going to have to think about this one

Quoting Beth3721:

Quoting Shari55:

Quoting Beth3721:

Quoting Shari55:

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Quoting Beth3721:

I just clap my hands loud, yell at them, and chase them into the laundry room to be locked up for a while.  Doesn't seem to work though.  The only thing we've been able to do is to put the garbage into another room which is a pain.  I can't really block the can off from them.

Use a squirt bottle.

When I was with my ex husband, the cat we had then kept doing one thing over and over and I got tired of it. I got out my super soaker and laid into the cat. The cat ran ... of all places... into the bathroom into the tub. Where I soaked that cat til the water was running off of the cat's fur. 

The cat didn't speak to me or pay me any attention at all, not even to get fed, for a whole week. The cat also never did that one thing ever again.

good luck. I'm in the process of trying to get a companion cat for my son right now.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)