Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My cats are continually knocking over my garbage can and I'm starting to get really mad.  I thought they were doing it because there was something in there they wanted...but now they do it all the time, even when it's empty. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on heavier cans with lids that they can't knock over?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Replies (21-28):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

This is what I was going to suggest. This is what we do in our home.

Quoting Aslen:

put it under the sink

kim8934
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM

get a spray bottle with water and spray them with it whenevery they try something

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Buy a wooden one. I have one that's actually supposed to be a recycling separator type thing and it has two sides but we use both for garbage. the lid and everything is made of wood and it's impossible for the cats totip it over. Additionally, you can purchase a spray bottle (fill it with water) and aome Boundary (get it at a pet store, it's in a spray can). When you catch the cats getting into the garbage you can spray them with the water, and in the mean time you can apply the Boundary to the can every night before you go to bed to deter them while you are sleeping. I live with four cats, one of whom thinks she's a rocket scientist so I've had a lot of experience outwitting fur faces. Good luck!

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting Beth3721:

I had actually looked at the larger version of this one at bed bath & beyond.  The one I messed around with was super hard to lock. I wasn't sure if they would all be like that or if it was just the demo that was malfunctioning.  Have you used one of these?

Quoting jabs54:

You can buy garbage cans that lock...

http://www.simplehuman.com/40-litre-slim-step-can-black-plastic?gclid=CNmCo7K-m7UCFdSkPAodRhEALw

No, sorry I haven't.  I just thought it might fit your needs. 

ComedyQueen
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

If you can't get a heavier metal can, or a square can that will fit in a corner or next to a counter top, then I suggest the following.

There is a product out there called sticky paws. It's basically a sheet of double sided tape the size of large piece of paper. It's a good deterrant for scratching, as most cats don't like the sticky feeling of it. You could try that, or just wrap regular double sided tape around your can (to save $$). And see if they stop touching it. It will likely feel weird when it sticks to their fur and they'll lose interest. 

Good luck!

Beth3721
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

The squirt bottle works for the one.  The big dumb one doesn't understand when you spray him.  He is such a sweetheart, but something is missing.  You spray him and he just looks at you with a blank stare.  He also sticks his head under running water to get a drink getting all wet.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Beth3721:

I just clap my hands loud, yell at them, and chase them into the laundry room to be locked up for a while.  Doesn't seem to work though.  The only thing we've been able to do is to put the garbage into another room which is a pain.  I can't really block the can off from them.

Use a squirt bottle.

When I was with my ex husband, the cat we had then kept doing one thing over and over and I got tired of it. I got out my super soaker and laid into the cat. The cat ran ... of all places... into the bathroom into the tub. Where I soaked that cat til the water was running off of the cat's fur. 

The cat didn't speak to me or pay me any attention at all, not even to get fed, for a whole week. The cat also never did that one thing ever again.

good luck. I'm in the process of trying to get a companion cat for my son right now.

x_Starr_x
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM
put cats in garbage bag throw over bridge lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

awww I miss my Lucky.

Poor baby took forever to be born, cause he was so huge. He has brain damage. He was the one that would climb into my sons basinet and curl up at the top around his head with his tail resting on my son's chest. Purring away. When he wanted to get up he did so slowly and carefully. Stepping down from the basinet onto a chair that was nearby so that he didn't wake up my son. 

With that cat in his basinet, my son finally slept longer than 2 hours.  Plus I was there watching the cat. To make sure nothing happened by accident. The mother of Lucky ... wow... she would hear my son fussing, not yet crying and she would come up onto my lap... then run over to the basinet and put her paws on the edge and stretch to look in on him. If he fussed again she would come up on my lap and bite me. 

Her way of saying "Your child is crying, go fix the problem."

Quoting Beth3721:

The squirt bottle works for the one.  The big dumb one doesn't understand when you spray him.  He is such a sweetheart, but something is missing.  You spray him and he just looks at you with a blank stare.  He also sticks his head under running water to get a drink getting all wet.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Beth3721:

I just clap my hands loud, yell at them, and chase them into the laundry room to be locked up for a while.  Doesn't seem to work though.  The only thing we've been able to do is to put the garbage into another room which is a pain.  I can't really block the can off from them.

Use a squirt bottle.

When I was with my ex husband, the cat we had then kept doing one thing over and over and I got tired of it. I got out my super soaker and laid into the cat. The cat ran ... of all places... into the bathroom into the tub. Where I soaked that cat til the water was running off of the cat's fur. 

The cat didn't speak to me or pay me any attention at all, not even to get fed, for a whole week. The cat also never did that one thing ever again.

good luck. I'm in the process of trying to get a companion cat for my son right now.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN