Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Etiquette classes.....?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so I am a huge stickler for good manors and proper etiquette. I have always wanted to teach etiquette classes for children. I truly believe that children now days could definitely benefit from them. My husbands says he thinks that it would be a waste of money to try to start up a class. He says that parents aren't likely to sign their kids up for a class because most of them don't put etiquette/proper manors high the their priority list. What do you think? Would you sign up your child/children for an etiquette class? 

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Replies (21-30):
CatFishMom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I wouldnt but only for financial reasons and I do my best to teach those things myself. There's a program you order online called The Etiquette Factory I learned about at my homeschooling conference last year that I really want to get, but thats because I can buy one program and teach all three kids with it. Like others have said, if you live in an area with people who can afford it-Id say it's a great idea!

camo.roo
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I'm going to have to agree with him, I'm afraid. It isn't quite for the identical reasons.

Parents that care about proper manners and chivalry will teach it themselves. The parents that really do not care, will not bother to sign up at all, as he states.

Unless you live in the more... Well to do areas with Sweet Sixteens and Coming Out parties, or Catillians, I doubt you will have high interest.

However, a set up in class setting at schools may work. They have a "moving" guidance class that hits every classroom during a month. Sometime it's healthy eating, study habits,no to drug, and pushing the anti bully campaign.

You probably wouldn't get paid, but if it's that important to you, check out some guidance counselors at several different schools as a start.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I think that if parents care enough they will teach their own children these things.

AMR320
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Quoting Raeann11:

No I would not sign them up. I teach them at home. But do what you feel is right for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJoe125
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I personally am a stickler for good manners too, so I teach my children by example and correction (we don't do that, we do this).

I would if it were available and if I could afford it.

Marimaru
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

My grandmother and aunt paid for my sisters and I to go to an etiquette class when we were younger.  They didn't teach us anything useful that we didn't know, and tried to teach us a bunch of useless (at the time) and outdated information on dealing with men (never call first, etc).  The class was much to young to be dealing with that stuff even if it was accurate.

In any case, the class was a dig on my mom, my aunt trying to say she wasn't raising us right.  Like I said, the actual useful information we already knew.  I think the type of people who want their kids to know etiquette will teach them, and the kind who don't know it, don't have any interest in teaching their kids, you know?

Christine0813
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Ha, ha! I was just think of this today. Not to start my own business. Just to see classes in the community. I do think etiquette is going away.

How would you advertise?

I would sign my kids up, even though I do teach them what I know. I'm sure I'm missing some points.

I do admit, if I'm not sure about something, I turn to google.

Jenn820
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I would. Both my husband and I are big into manners and proper etiquette but I would still consider enrolling my son. I think you can always learn more. Just be sure that you are 100% sure you have the truly proper way of things or have an explanation as to why one way was chosen over another. There are often more than one way of thinking and your class won't go for long if people don't agree with what you are teaching their kids. I don't know why you husband is worried about the start up costs. It seems to me it should be quite small given minimal overhead you'd need for a class like that.
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I wouldn't because we teach manners and etiquette at home, so I don't see a reason to pay for it. If I had the spare money and didn't teach it to them on my own, I would sign my kids up. Manners are very important to us.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I think it might be a waste of time, unless it's a mommy-and-me type of thing. Teaching kids ettiquette in a class won't translate to the home or anywhere else if mom and dad don't support and reinforce it at home. I thoroughly believe we are lacking in proper ettiquette these days but people don't really seem to care. In this age of the lowest types of behavior,  manners are often laughed at. Maybe there are more people like us out there who would jump at the chance, though, you never know. It would be nice to see kids having good manners for a change instead of acting like little animals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)