Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Quitting smoking.....

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi everyone! Today is day three without cigarettes! I'm still fighting the urge, but some things seem to be working. I unfortunately can't use the patch like I planned on at the start. Have any of you tried quitting smoking? How many attempts did I take before you got it? How many of you succeeded? What things worked best for you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
breebree04
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I am trying to quit right now too. Its soooo hard. I do use the patch which helps alot. I quit using the patch before for 9 months and then started again :( This time I have been using the patch about 3 weeks but I cant kick the habit completely. Usually about once a day in the middle of the day I get alot of anxiety and just want a cigarette. I usually end up smoking one and then Im fine the rest of the time until the next day. I really want to quit but I dont, kwim? I dont have the nicotine craving because the patch is giving me that, its just that I want one. Usually I go over a big list in my head of why I shouldnt smoke when I want one, bad for my health, bad example to kids (dont smoke in house but obviously they know I smoke), it stinks, its expensive, ect.... and usually that works but I cant seem to kick this one cigarette a day. Im not ganna stop trying though, I know I can do it, its just doing it.

breebree04
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

btw, good for you for making it to day 3!!! Its hard quiting when you have an aid for help so you being on day 3 shows how strong willed you are. Keep up the good work. Try chewing gum and buy lots of hard candies to suck on throughout the day

LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I've tried.  I suceeded when I was pregannt 3 years ago (but started back a couple weeks after my son was born).  Tried to go cold turkey last November (which I will NOT do again--I only lasted till later that first night).  I quit again on January 2nd with the help of the nicotine gum and, later, an e-cig.  The gum really helped (the e-cig just made me crave a real cig).  I hate to admit it, but I started smoking again after 12 days.  I'm going to try the gum again the next time I try to quit.  It would really help, though, if my husband would quit with me--which he has no interest in right now.  Good luck to you, because qutting is definitely not easy.

LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM

It sounds like you are doing pretty good just getting down to one a day.  How much do you usually smoke?  And I know exactly what you mean about wanting to quit, but not wanting to.  I think that's part of my problem.  I know I SHOULD, but there's part of me that still enjoys it.  That, plus my hubby smokes, and it is soooo hard to stay quit knowing he's out having a cigarette.  My main reason for wanting to quit lately is that we want to have another baby, and I want to be quit before I get pregnant this time.  Having said that, the sad thing is that I just came in from having one.  :(

Quoting breebree04:

I am trying to quit right now too. Its soooo hard. I do use the patch which helps alot. I quit using the patch before for 9 months and then started again :( This time I have been using the patch about 3 weeks but I cant kick the habit completely. Usually about once a day in the middle of the day I get alot of anxiety and just want a cigarette. I usually end up smoking one and then Im fine the rest of the time until the next day. I really want to quit but I dont, kwim? I dont have the nicotine craving because the patch is giving me that, its just that I want one. Usually I go over a big list in my head of why I shouldnt smoke when I want one, bad for my health, bad example to kids (dont smoke in house but obviously they know I smoke), it stinks, its expensive, ect.... and usually that works but I cant seem to kick this one cigarette a day. Im not ganna stop trying though, I know I can do it, its just doing it.

MJP76
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Cold turkey. I have tried 3 times total. And the first two I tried the "weening" didn't work. 

Cold turkey is the only way it worked. Almost 12 years now smoke free.  I smoked for 13 years.

breebree04
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I was smoking a pack a day. Im glad Im at most only smoking one a day but feel like since Im using the nicotine patch I shouldnt be smoking at all.  I dont know how you can even attempt to do it when your hubby is still smoking. Thats one of the hard things for me the first couple days without a smoke is being around someone else smoking or smelling it. My family and kids get on me when I fail but I just tell them I wont stop trying so eventually I will kick it

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

It sounds like you are doing pretty good just getting down to one a day.  How much do you usually smoke?  And I know exactly what you mean about wanting to quit, but not wanting to.  I think that's part of my problem.  I know I SHOULD, but there's part of me that still enjoys it.  That, plus my hubby smokes, and it is soooo hard to stay quit knowing he's out having a cigarette.  My main reason for wanting to quit lately is that we want to have another baby, and I want to be quit before I get pregnant this time.  Having said that, the sad thing is that I just came in from having one.  :(

xoxRachelxox
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I've used an electronic cigarette for the last 2 years. I haven't smoked a real cigarette since. It's been great for me. I know some people don't like them but I love them. I know I'm addicted to them now but they're still a lot better than cigarettes.

LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I've never tried the patch, but my mom did when she tried to quit one time.  It made her itch really bad, and she broke out in a rash.  Glad it seems to be working for you.  Maybe if you're just smoking that one a day it's more a mental thing (which I completely understand).  Still, one is a lot better than a pack a day (which is where I'm at right now).  Maybe try chewing a piece of cinnamon gum when you really want that one--I hear that helps.  Wish me luck, too.  :)

Quoting breebree04:

I was smoking a pack a day. Im glad Im at most only smoking one a day but feel like since Im using the nicotine patch I shouldnt be smoking at all.  I dont know how you can even attempt to do it when your hubby is still smoking. Thats one of the hard things for me the first couple days without a smoke is being around someone else smoking or smelling it. My family and kids get on me when I fail but I just tell them I wont stop trying so eventually I will kick it

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

Marimaru
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

My husband quit once.  He picked a week and said "Whatever day I run out of cigs is it, I'm not buying any more."

The first few days were rough (he was a little grumpy), and I know for a fact there was not a single cigarette anywhere in our apartment, LOL.

He said the thing that helped him most was to still do things like he was smoking.  Like going out for a break with the guys who did smoke.  He would chew mint gum when he went out because he says smoking and having gum in your mouth is gross, lol.

Moe1521
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your I put! I've been a smoker for about 8 or 9 years, and I've attempted quitting many times. I think this is my 6th or 7th attempt. So far, so good. I was using the patches but I had an adverse reaction to them. Then I tried the gum but since I know there is nicotine in there I want a piece like every hour, so I only have one of those when I really feel I need one. I haven't had a piece of nicotine gum since Saturday afternoon. So for now I'm chewing Big Red bubble gum. The cinnamon seems to help. I also have lots of hard candies. I'm afraid I'm going to gain so much weight. LOL! There just seems to be times where the urge gets so strong and I don't think I'm gonna make it through. This is the most difficult thing I've ever had to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)