Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Have you ever given your infant Melatonin?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter's sleep schedule has gotten a bit off and she's having a very hard time staying asleep (yes, I know this is normal for a 6 month old).  I have had a few moms suggest to me to give her a few drops of Melatonin for a few nights to try and get her back on schedule, but I have also had some moms say NEVER give an infant Melatonin.  Have you mom's given your infants any and if so, have you had any adverse side effects?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM

NEVER give your infant melatonin. It'll screw up their systems.

I did give my CHILD (over the age of 3) melatonin because she has bouts of insomnia.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I would never give an infant melatonin.  My ten year old takes it under his doctors supervision, but I won't even give it to my seven year old.  

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Absolutely not! I wouldn't even care about the side effects. You just deal with sleep issues in infants. Just because it's a"naturally occurring whatever" in our bodies does not mean you give it to an infant.

I'm sorry, I find that suggestion ridiculous and possibly harmful.

Call your pedis nurse, see what a professional tells you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
edieda
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I never did give my daughters any medication to help them sleep through the night. You should discuss issues of the child's sleep pattern with your baby's doctor, the doctor can then discuss with you what would be best for your baby.

JZB
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM
No No No, sorry the best thing you can do is routine and patience.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Speak to your doctor. The only mom I know that has every given it to her child (not infant, but toddler and now 5) he has autism, and it was given under a doctors care.

CrimsonGrace
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
No, I haven't. I think that is a bad idea of monumental proportion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJoe125
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

No, I have never given any of mine (four of them) melatonin; I can atest to the results of sleep deprivation, especially when they're 6 mos old.  Anyway, I wouldn't.  Dr. Oz had a segment on one of his shows that even adults shouldn't take it b/c it messes up your sleep schedule worse, it doesn't help you stay on track.  If I understand correctly, it's because the supplement wears off before your body would naturally stop producing it, so you wake up in the middle of the night unable to get back to sleep.  Then you fall asleep right before you have to get up and then you're tired (if you can get up at all) when you need to be awake.

I think you're better off either giving her diluted camomile tea, but that's all.  You can try helping her sleep at night be keeping her schedule during the day (or at least the evenings) consistent.

vgmz22
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Melatonin given to anyone is a big no especially infants. It does help with sleep and it is something the body naturally produces but eventually the body will stop producing it for itself and your body will become dependant on the pill, liquid melatonin in order to sleep at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN