Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My son's circumsision needs to be redone, I need some input?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 31 Replies

My son just turned 2 and the doctor said now they can re do his curcumsision if we want. the problem is they did not cut enough foreskin off the first time. My question is if it was your child what would you do. The doctor said there are no health risks either way and the only thing to really worry about is when he gets older and is changing in the locker room or using the restroom other men and boys will look at him funny and ask him if he was or was not circumsised. Any input or if you have been through this is greatly appriciated! Thank you!

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goofygadget
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Like any dude is going to ask him that.

I would go with your gut.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Imo I wouldn't do it. Why put him under the knife just because he might get teased about not being circumsized. I have personally never heard of a boy being teased for not being cut. I would just leave it alone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM
No guy would ask him that in the locker room... besides in school they don't have time for showers so they never remove their underwear. Second forskin is good for their bodies to have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doomshroom
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
i wouldn't do it. men generally don't criticize other men's penises. even if they did, i don't personally think that's a good enough reason to put him through that. when he's older, he can make that decision if it's truly a problem.
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

My son was never cut. He is an athlete and he has NEVER been asked about his penis in a locker room or anywhere else. In fact, he has to point it out to gfs. Most never notice.

Which is my way of saying, your son doesn't need surgery, so don't do it.

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I would leave it because they have no way of knowing that they didn't take enough until he is fully grown. They could take too much and he could be painful there when he's done growing. It is better to have more than not enough IMO. My ds is intact and dh isn't, it's never even occurred to ds that he's different than dh. 

butterflycircle
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I would not do it. I don't think that other boys or men would give him a hard time later on in life and even if they did I don't think putting a toddler through it is the answer. Of course this is between you and your s/o to deside for your son, this is just my opinion : )

My husband is not cir. and has never had any issues at all. Sure his friends have asked if he was or not and he told them and they were just like "really?" and that was about the extent of it. I don't think that any one has ever took a "peak" at it while he was in a bathroom or chaning in a locker room either lol. 

Lynette
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Looser circs are the norm nowadays.  Tight circs cause medical issues.  As for social reasons for circumcision that doesn't hold water anymore.  Only 33percent of infant boys are circumcised in the United States, the rest are intact.  I can't imagine having a 3yr old put under anestesia with the risks that go along with that then through a painful recovery for a cosmetic procedure.

My sons are intact.  

unsuspected
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
We had to have my oldest son's redone. They left too much skin and it adhered. You could pull it back to clean but it was not right. Like some misfortunate hybrid between circumsized and uncircumsized. He was about 2 for the correction. It was terrible. He had to be put completly under. And he was old enough to really really complain during the recovery. made me wish we had never done it. But you cant go back. You can only try your best every day to do all you can.

We decided to have the correction because we never wanted him yo be self consious or uncomfortable.
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I just read someone say the skin could be pulled back to clean but it was not right. The skin should not be pulled back at all. Not to clean. Not for any reason. Retracting HURTS and should not be done until and unless the child himself does it because he is playing with or or want to.

It seems doctors and nurses are often telling parents they must retract when that is not the case. It hurts the child. It is also a way to get the parents to do unnecessary surgery on their baby boy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)