Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
My girls are not fat, but stocky. My husband and I are normal to thin. They are at the upper end of the weight percentage scale, but also in height. My pediatrician is a little concerned but they seem to go through spurts of leaning out. They are very muscular. My sister and myself were built this way but grew up to never have weight issues. Anyone else have kids that were like this but thinned out?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
Jenn820
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM
As long as the height and weight are proportional, I wouldn't worry about it. My 4 year old is on the 50% line for a 6 year old in both height and weight. He's a big kid but not disproportional.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

They are suppose to chuck up and thin out, it is completely normal. Find a new pediatrician. They chunk up before a growth spurt.

My kids do that all the time.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM

No. Mine were always thin. 

I almost had the opposite problem with my youngest. The doctor wasn't worried, but I was.

Now he's just turned 4 at the end of last month. He weighs about 40 pounds and is over 3'6" tall. I have to make another appt to go see the doctor for his 4 year well baby check up.

wedding countdown

mommieofII
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I have 2 girls also that are bigger then the normal child I see... my youngest is 9 and weighs 73lbs and oldest is 12 and weighs 113... they are both also muscular... I am thin and their father is muscular. they both have his theighs which are a bit stocky...My girls dont look fat just bigger.. My oldest pediatrician was concerned about my oldest cause she gained 25 lbs in 1 year... She has not lost 10 lbs in the past month due to sports. so we are headed in the right direction.

lnr187
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

all pediatricians are different. i have a friend who's 3 year old daughter is the size of my 5 year old son. her dr is not concerned. my 5 year old primarily wears size 6 btw. if your girls aren't roly poly cuties, i wouldn't worry about it too much :) how old are they? if they don't start to thin out, then i'd be concerned, but they're still young, i wouldn't stress too much. make sure they're eating lots of fruits and veggies and less sugars and im sure they'll be okay. you're not going to starve your babies.

mayalove
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM
My four month old is 17.3 for wieght and 26.5 inches . He's 91% for wight and 95% for highroad
eviesmom453
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom2Just1:

I have small kids . My 6 year old weighs 50lbs and 52 inches tall. The baby weighs 12lbs at 9 weeks.

LOL. DS will be 10 this month and is 56 pounds.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Kids grow at their own rates.

If it's vegetable/ whole grain/ protein size great.

If it's fast food/ candy size not great.

Yes I have one petite child, one sturdy child. Great food life so no worries.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Kids grow at their own rates.

If it's vegetable/ whole grain/ protein size great.

If it's fast food/ candy size not great.

Yes I have one petite child, one sturdy child. Great food life so no worries.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:57 AM

my daughter has always been bigger than kids her age.  but shes not fat..shes not toothpick skinny..but shes healthy :)  shes also a foot taller than most kids her age too..LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN