Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need advice on my ds regarding school.

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 16 Replies

Ds is in 2nd grade and has recently become distracted in school. He had pages of work in his desk and it was sent home this past friday to be completed at home. I scheduled a conference with the teacher and I met with her and the other teacher he sees through out the day. She helps him one on one with math. So we discussed what was going on in class. He's not interested in what she has to say. He's not misbehaving he's just not interested in some things. He does tell me that the other kids in class distract him or try to talk to him and he can't get his work done. Weve explained to him that he needs to tell the teacher so that she can tell those kids to let him do his work.

After speaking with the teachers for a few minutes they handed me a form to fill. Regarding his health and our family. They suggested I take him to the pediatrician. The teacher also said that her child was not concentrating in school and later turned out that he had ADD. I felt like they were diagnosing my child in the conference room and I felt helpless. I am torn. My son got his report card not too long ago and he is struggling with math. He has a 68 but is passing the rest of the subjects. They discussed an option would be holding him back in the 2nd grade. My dh doesn't want to give our child medications because the teachers seem to think somethings wrong with him.  Most of those sheets that were incomplete were math. I told the teachers that I am going to work with him at home daily and she told me exactly what they're doing right now and maybe that will help him.

I'm reading online and it's like a big mess. My brain can't seem to take all the information on there. I'm overwhelmed. I'm reading that meals can help his concentration in school. I had my ds make his own chart. We will fill it up weekly and he gets to choose to do an activity like going to the park, get a cool pencil, note pad. Only if he does his work during class and has no marks in his folder. If he gets a mark in his folder he will not get a sticker on his chart for the day.  Can anyone offer me any advice? 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

There are other ways to cope with it than medication so it would not hurt to have him looked at.   He may need to be more isolated within the classroom if the students are bothering him during instruction time.  Is he able to follow directions the first time at home or do you need to repeat yourself several times?

Love2Cuddle
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are other ways to cope with it than medication so it would not hurt to have him looked at.   He may need to be more isolated within the classroom if the students are bothering him during instruction time.  Is he able to follow directions the first time at home or do you need to repeat yourself several times?

That's what the teachers also mentioned. Having him have a teacher next to him so she can encourage him to do his work and stay on track. There are times I have to give him instructions more than once because he does have a baby brother and when he gets home from school they want to play together. So when they're having fun and I tell him to pick up his shoes I have to raise my voice so he can do it. I feel it's normal child behavior. Last night I gave him a subtraction worksheet and I told him to go sit in the room and when he was done he could play. I gave him clear instructions to do front and back and then bring it to me so I can check his paper. He did as I instructed him to do and then he went and played. I will be doing this every day. Giving him work sheets and sitting with him so he understands that first he has to work then play. I was telling my husband perhaps I need to be more consistent with him when he gets home from school. He gets home and does homework and then plays. I need to do more of my part to sit with him and do practice sheets. I just get so wrapped up in all the other things I need to do in the home that I kind of put the extra work aside. 

crazy4u49033
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Most teachers do not suggest diagnoses just for giggles. Teachers do not want drugged up kids in class, but they are noticing a problem. Even if he is diagnosed with ADD it doesn't mean he has take meds.
I am glad you are taking initiative and helping him one on one. Unfortunatly, that proabaly can't happen in the classroom since there are 20+ kids in the class.
Have you considered dietary changes? Cutting out artificial dyes - especially red dye. Some families have had success cutting out processed food as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Love2Cuddle
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Quoting crazy4u49033:

Most teachers do not suggest diagnoses just for giggles. Teachers do not want drugged up kids in class, but they are noticing a problem. Even if he is diagnosed with ADD it doesn't mean he has take meds.
I am glad you are taking initiative and helping him one on one. Unfortunatly, that proabaly can't happen in the classroom since there are 20+ kids in the class.
Have you considered dietary changes? Cutting out artificial dyes - especially red dye. Some families have had success cutting out processed food as well.

Yes, I'm reading information about changing his diet. I just need to find more of an idea how to shop for these meals and what to look for. It's all new to me but I am willing to try this in order to help my son out.  Dh refuses to see there is an issue with him staying on task in school but I do want him to see the dr so that they can guide me in the right direction. It's not fair to our son that he has to struggle because we're in denial or refuse to see this is possibly a bigger issue. Do you think the Dr be able to give me meal ideas for him?

AromaDrops33
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

The one thing I would try is diffusing essential oils in your home or applying them topically before school each day. I personally use on my 4 year old before school Wild Orange, and Lavender. These both help with concentration, relaxation, and can help the symptoms of ADD/ADHD. Just apply 1-2 drops behind each ear every morning, or you can diffuse these aromatically in your home. If you need more info please feel free to message me.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Usually teachers are pretty good at spotting ADD, he might have a little, doesn't mean you have to medicate him. And it's weird that he's only struggling with math, I think your plan is a good one.

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Neither diet or essential oils will help if there is a real problem. If it did, doctors would be throwing away their rx pads & telling people to rub oil on their kids. If you can't afford testing have the school do it. Do ask them to also check for auditory and visual processing disorders. Take the results to a pediatric neurologist.
crazy4u49033
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM
If not, ask for a referral to a dietician. Mostly you need to read labels. If it lists red dye, don't buy. Also, look for organic foods and try cooking mostly from scratch.

Quoting Love2Cuddle:

Quoting crazy4u49033:

Yes, I'm reading information about changing his diet. I just need to find more of an idea how to shop for these meals and what to look for. It's all new to me but I am willing to try this in order to help my son out.  Dh refuses to see there is an issue with him staying on task in school but I do want him to see the dr so that they can guide me in the right direction. It's not fair to our son that he has to struggle because we're in denial or refuse to see this is possibly a bigger issue. Do you think the Dr be able to give me meal ideas for him?

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

If it's just math that he is having trouble with, then maybe he really just doesn't understand the work, so he is shutting down.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Unless the studies have been disproved, I had once read that lavender is not good for boys because it messes with their hormones and can cause, Gynecomastia. This was a few years ago, so this information could have changed.

Quoting AromaDrops33:

The one thing I would try is diffusing essential oils in your home or applying them topically before school each day. I personally use on my 4 year old before school Wild Orange, and Lavender. These both help with concentration, relaxation, and can help the symptoms of ADD/ADHD. Just apply 1-2 drops behind each ear every morning, or you can diffuse these aromatically in your home. If you need more info please feel free to message me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN