Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need help with dd's teeth...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

My dd brushes her teeth at least twice a day and also uses a mouthwash.  She gets a lot of tarter (sp?)build up and no matter what we do, her teeth never look clean.  She doesn't eat a lot of sweets or sugary drinks.  She goes to her dentist, which they just say she isn't brusing her teeth good enough.  But I am helping her too so I don't know...Is there a good toothpaste or toothbrush or a homeopathic remedy? 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Is she brushing up and down? Also, flossing? Try brushing three times a day? Also, set a timer to make sure she is brushing long enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

This is good advice.

Did her dentist give you any tips?

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Is she brushing up and down? Also, flossing? Try brushing three times a day? Also, set a timer to make sure she is brushing long enough.

lnr187
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM

i'd suggest flossing, and you can get those hour glass timers. im not sure how long ss lasts, but he brushes until it's empty. make sure the mouthrinse is anti-cavity. how about an electric toothbrush?

kali_mom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I think a timer when introduced in a positive light can be a great tool to help aid in correct brushing. I have 5 children and with my oldest we had a period of yellow but I stayed very consistent and he got back on track in no time. I would speak with the dentist and ask they physically show both of how they want her teeth brushed so that there is no confusion. Hang in there
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM

electruic toothbrushs do brush betetr

Quoting lnr187:

i'd suggest flossing, and you can get those hour glass timers. im not sure how long ss lasts, but he brushes until it's empty. make sure the mouthrinse is anti-cavity. how about an electric toothbrush?

LindaClement
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Is it white or grey or yellow?

White staining on teeth isn't tartar, it's calcium deposits. Grey is decay. Yellow is tartar.

Does she eat a lot of carbs? Potato starch is one of the best bacteria foods there is, and it's a lot harder to clean off teeth than sugar is. Pasta, crackers, bread, rice ... are all worse for teeth than sugar. Most of her diet (and everyone else's) is better made up of fruits, vegetables and meats. Grains, when they're eaten, should be in their least-refined form --groats, unpolished and whole or flattened before anything milled... whole grain milled flour with the germ before anything more refined. 

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

You may need to change the strength of the toothbrush. Instead of using a soft bristle, use a medium bristle.  She should brush every morning and every night at bedtime. You may also want to limit her drinks, if she is drinking sodas or colored juices like cool-aid.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I would ask her dentist but until then I would try an electric toothbrush and flossing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN