Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 15 month old daughter isn't walkin yet how do i get her to start she will be 16 months soon...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 9 Replies

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GOBryan
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM

That's unusual. Does she atleast try? If not, you may want to discuss it with her pediatrician and have her checked for developmental or physical issues. 

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

How close is she? Is she crawling, is she cruising along furmiture yet? If she's cruising or pulling up to stand at furniture, that's good, keep encouraging that and it should come. However, if she's not pulling up to stand yet, and if she's hasn't been crawling for a while I'd recommend you take her to get evaluated by a physical therapist to try to rule out difficulties like low muscle tone. If she does have low tone she would benefit from PT anyway. If she's not walking by the time she's 16 months old, I'd take her for sure. There might not be any underlying issue but having a PT work with her can help the process along.

spunky946
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The normal for walking is 9-18 months, so I would not worry.  My ds did not walk until he was almost 18 months and is fine.  My dd walked closer to 16 months.  

Is she trying to walk?  Walking along furniture?  Walking holding your hand?  Things like that.  If yes, don't worry about it, she will let go and walk when she is ready.  If not, I'd talk to your ped.

rebeccasmly
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM
This.

Quoting spunky946:

The normal for walking is 9-18 months, so I would not worry.  My ds did not walk until he was almost 18 months and is fine.  My dd walked closer to 16 months.  

Is she trying to walk?  Walking along furniture?  Walking holding your hand?  Things like that.  If yes, don't worry about it, she will let go and walk when she is ready.  If not, I'd talk to your ped.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM

My daughter is 16 months and she just started walking on her own in the last few weeks--until then, she was cruising and crawling everywhere. Her pedi said not to worry about it yet, and if she got to 18 months without walking we'd do some early intervention.

In the meantime, practice with her--hold her hands and help her walk, give her practice standing on her own, etc. Is she in day care or around other kids? If not, see if you can get her spending time with other kids her age who are walking. She'll probably see them and want to do it, too.

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I would talk to my doctor, if concerned.  But, both of my girls didn't walk until at least 16 months.  It is still within the range of normal.  Is she at least close (i.e. standing on furniture, etc.)?

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Ninjabubble
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I have a 10 month old who has no interest in doing anything besides laying on his back. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenn4443
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM
My oldest was 15 1/2 months before he walked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Mine were 16 and 19 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured