Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Never Bought a House...Need Help

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 24 Replies

We are moving from MN to IA.  We need to find a house and move in quick.  Is there anything that we can do to make sure we can get in the house ASAP?  How long does it take to close on a house usually?  We can't afford to live out of a hotel for very long, and rent a storage unit too...a lot of stuff!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd advise renting a house first. That way you get to know the area, shools, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, that's a huge decision, you shouldn't rush it because it won't be that easy to get out of it later. 

Quoting crwspringer:

I'd advise renting a house first. That way you get to know the area, shools, etc.

mmccrea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Well, my husbands sister lives in the area, so she is helping us look for good neighborhoods.  And, renting is really hard with a big dog and a cat.  And, we would want a month-to-month lease, which is really hard to come by...:(  It takes us forever to find a place to rent because of our dog.  

Quoting crwspringer:

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I'd rent. I moved from SC to KY a few years ago and it was very hard to find an area we liked...and it was only after we stayed with my in laws for 6 months. I'd find an affordable rental on a year lease.

sroddy1087
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

The average time to close is 30 days. But, it took us 2 1/2 weeks to close. We got lucky, though. 

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Chances are it will take around 90 days to close after your offer is approved. You could put a stipulation in for a 45 day closing. It would depend if your seller was very motivated.

Quoting mmccrea:

Well, my husbands sister lives in the area, so she is helping us look for good neighborhoods.  And, renting is really hard with a big dog and a cat.  And, we would want a month-to-month lease, which is really hard to come by...:(  It takes us forever to find a place to rent because of our dog.  

Quoting crwspringer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof6nokc
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

We closed in 30 days.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

It takes time, make sure you have pre-approval letter from your bank, and all your paper work handy in one place, they want so much now it's ridiculous! (Not for the pre-approval, for the actual mortgage) Make sure the house is financible, meaning it has all it's heating and water systems working. A good realtor can really help.

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I would deal with the difficulty of finding a rental with the dog before I would rush a home buying decision.  It is a big decision that you don't want to rush.  Have your family in the area put the word out to everyone they know and tell everyone they know that you need a temporary rental. It's more difficult than a long-term rent, but it's doable.  Take a 6 month lease if you need to.

MJP76
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I would acquire the home you want first before moving... The shortest it's going to take, is a few weeks, and that's if you and the seller agree on everything....

It took us.. A total of 4 months.. To find a house we wanted, and then sign all the papers and stuff.. After picking the house we wanted it took about a month to close on the house...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured