Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My baby is 7 weeks old and has been coughing for over a week.  I have tried the humidifier, nasal aspirator, and steam.  I feel so bad for her, it's breaking my heart.  She has had several coughing attacks that were so bad that it made her throw up!! My DH says she sounds like a barking chipmunk!!  (It's not a croup-y cough though!)  Anyone have any other suggestions of what I might try?!  I just want my baby to feel better:(

Update: It appears that I failed to mention that yes, I have taken the baby to urgent care twice, friday and today, Docs have checked her lungs and their are no respitory concerns.  Both times they said that it is a cold and the cough just has to run it's course!!  Ya'll must think that I am a moron for not going to the doctor and I must say I can't blame you!!  I am mainly just looking for additional ways to what the doctors suggested that might help my DD be more comfortable until she feels better!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

She has been twice this week, last visit was today.  Docs are not worried about any respitory issues.  It's all mainly nasal, they said it just has to run it's course.  I was just looking for additional suggestions to what the doctors gave me today.  In my experience Mom's tend to know all the good home remedies.......

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Yes, OP, this needs a doctor. If you called a triage nurse now, she'd probably say ER immediately. Please get you baby to a dr. It could be any of frndly said or RSV. Especially if there is a crackle in the lower part of her lungs...even whooping cough. Please get an appt ASAP .

Quoting frndlyfn:

Did yoiu call her doctor yet?  It could be pneumonia, bronchitis, a upper respiratory thing, etc.   With this age i would be calling hte doctor for an appointment.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I'mafraid you are doing all you can, then.

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

She has been twice this week, last visit was today.  Docs are not worried about any respitory issues.  It's all mainly nasal, they said it just has to run it's course.  I was just looking for additional suggestions to what the doctors gave me today.  In my experience Mom's tend to know all the good home remedies.......

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Yes, OP, this needs a doctor. If you called a triage nurse now, she'd probably say ER immediately. Please get you baby to a dr. It could be any of frndly said or RSV. Especially if there is a crackle in the lower part of her lungs...even whooping cough. Please get an appt ASAP .

Quoting frndlyfn:

Did yoiu call her doctor yet?  It could be pneumonia, bronchitis, a upper respiratory thing, etc.   With this age i would be calling hte doctor for an appointment.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Thank you, yes nursing seems to help ease the cough. 

Quoting GremlinMom:

Parainfluenza is going around, which causes croup. Go see your doc! Just nurse her more often, its the best thing you can do for her. Nurse nurse nurse!

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Hollydaze1974: Yes thank you, I think I am, but I think I needed someone to reassure me.....

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting frndlyfn:

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Mainly right before bed and when she wakes up, the coughing doesn't seem to be waking her up.

Quoting 2curly:

Is she coughing all day long or more at night?

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Yes, she has been twice!! They checked her lungs, which are clear.  They said cough just has to run it's course:(

Quoting 2curly:

Yes call the doctor

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Consider yourself reassured

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Hollydaze1974: Yes thank you, I think I am, but I think I needed someone to reassure me.....

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting frndlyfn:

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM
One thing I'll add.. " tent " the sleeping area drape it with sheets and push pin or nail I to the ceiling. Make sure the humidifier is up high and inside the tent so babe is getting it's maximum strength. We had to do that for RSV . Sleeping in the car seat inside the tent so babe is propped up for better drainage and ease the cough. Okay that's all I have. I wash you good luck, good thought, prayer... Whatever your belief system is . ( gotta cover all bases as to not offend anyone) :-)

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting frndlyfn:

GremlinMom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM
I've been using doTerras Breathe essential oil blend on my kids. I rub it on their chest and back and then let them take a warm bath with in in the water. It did wonders. My older boys are 2yrs and my baby is 8 months. I am going to be honest and say IDK what the guidelines are for 2 months old. Sorry I didnt mention it earlier, I just forgot.
2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Thank you! I will google it for guidlines for her age

Quoting GremlinMom:

I've been using doTerras Breathe essential oil blend on my kids. I rub it on their chest and back and then let them take a warm bath with in in the water. It did wonders. My older boys are 2yrs and my baby is 8 months. I am going to be honest and say IDK what the guidelines are for 2 months old. Sorry I didnt mention it earlier, I just forgot.

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Thank you, I will try that too.  Your prayers are appreciated!

Quoting hollydaze1974:

One thing I'll add.. " tent " the sleeping area drape it with sheets and push pin or nail I to the ceiling. Make sure the humidifier is up high and inside the tent so babe is getting it's maximum strength. We had to do that for RSV . Sleeping in the car seat inside the tent so babe is propped up for better drainage and ease the cough. Okay that's all I have. I wash you good luck, good thought, prayer... Whatever your belief system is . ( gotta cover all bases as to not offend anyone) :-)

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN