Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby is 7 weeks old and has been coughing for over a week.  I have tried the humidifier, nasal aspirator, and steam.  I feel so bad for her, it's breaking my heart.  She has had several coughing attacks that were so bad that it made her throw up!! My DH says she sounds like a barking chipmunk!!  (It's not a croup-y cough though!)  Anyone have any other suggestions of what I might try?!  I just want my baby to feel better:(

Update: It appears that I failed to mention that yes, I have taken the baby to urgent care twice, friday and today, Docs have checked her lungs and their are no respitory concerns.  Both times they said that it is a cold and the cough just has to run it's course!!  Ya'll must think that I am a moron for not going to the doctor and I must say I can't blame you!!  I am mainly just looking for additional ways to what the doctors suggested that might help my DD be more comfortable until she feels better!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Replies (21-27):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM

I just remembered that we use a waterless vapor plug in for our apartment since dd who is much older will not take cough medicine at all.  In 3 days just using that a cough that would wake up whole household was gone.   We closed the bedroom door so the vapors stayed in there.  No water no mess.  One pad for the plug in lasted about 8-10 hours.  We just unplugged it when we werent in room.

Katt709
by Katharine on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried elevating her crib? And also use saline in her nose or breastmilk (fresh) to help break up the mucus.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:33 AM
Baby vicks
Sleeping propped up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2curly
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Sorry for my delayed response. I was just wondering if the cough was something other than a cold, since you we're saying she was spitting up too.  My son had reflux really bad and he would often cough and spit up, not until he was treated for the reflux did the cough go away.  But since your little one was seen by the doctor more than once and they just think it is a cold, it probably does have to just run its course. It is so sad when they are so young though. It sounds like you are doing everything that you can.  I hope she feels better soon.

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Mainly right before bed and when she wakes up, the coughing doesn't seem to be waking her up.

Quoting 2curly:

Is she coughing all day long or more at night?

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Yes, she has been twice!! They checked her lungs, which are clear.  They said cough just has to run it's course:(

Quoting 2curly:

Yes call the doctor

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM

No, You're actually right, Doc said that there is some mild reflux going on too.  But she seems to think the cough is cold related, poor baby:(

Quoting 2curly:

Sorry for my delayed response. I was just wondering if the cough was something other than a cold, since you we're saying she was spitting up too.  My son had reflux really bad and he would often cough and spit up, not until he was treated for the reflux did the cough go away.  But since your little one was seen by the doctor more than once and they just think it is a cold, it probably does have to just run its course. It is so sad when they are so young though. It sounds like you are doing everything that you can.  I hope she feels better soon.

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Mainly right before bed and when she wakes up, the coughing doesn't seem to be waking her up.

Quoting 2curly:

Is she coughing all day long or more at night?

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Yes, she has been twice!! They checked her lungs, which are clear.  They said cough just has to run it's course:(

Quoting 2curly:

Yes call the doctor

steveshouse
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Take her in the bathroom, Steam it up but no so hot that its hard to breath and let her breath in the moisture, It will not only soothe her throat and lungs but it will help her rest too.

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

What a great suggestion!  I always feel so much better after a shower!!

Quoting steveshouse:

Take her in the bathroom, Steam it up but no so hot that its hard to breath and let her breath in the moisture, It will not only soothe her throat and lungs but it will help her rest too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured